Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wrench::wrench::wrench:

Winter has come, and my heater core has decided that it's time to go out on me. I've never tried to tackle this job by myself, and since it's close to Christmas, I'd prefer not to spend the money with a shop.

I know the method most of the repair manuals provides, which is the same method most shops will go for and then charge out the bee-hind. I was watching some YouTube videos and came across this method by AutoTech. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum has attempted this method? Last time I had this done on my other B5, it cost me around $1000. And that was after I bought the core from ECS myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would try it this way for sure. I would be willing to bet money that's how it goes into the car, as one giant assembly. Of course at the factory they have the nice hydraulically assisted arms, but you know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try it this way for sure. I would be willing to bet money that's how it goes into the car, as one giant assembly. Of course at the factory they have the nice hydraulically assisted arms, but you know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I thought there was a second video that went into more depth, but I can't seem to find it now.

I think this is it

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
search for 'fast way' here with google as in 'fast way heater core' site:passatworld.com

There have been a few folks here who have done it this way and it is apparently much easier. You will need to get a shop to evac the AC first and I'd buy new AC o-rings ($6 from the dealer). You will also need a helper to put it back in as the entire dash is too heavy and bulky for one person to maneuver back into place.

Have you considered back-flushing the heater core first? That is a lot easier and will often fix a clogged heater core. I'd try that unless you know for sure it is clogged up beyond redemption.

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
I've done it both ways and it's much faster taking the dash out as one. I managed to do it without an extra set of hands, but it was a pain without help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts