Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had to replace a left tail light on a b5.5 wagon? I found it a bear of a job. The rack for the CD changer covers up the lower left bolt that holds the light in. The rack has to be removed to get at that bolt, and it is really difficult to get it out. I had to dismantle the inside of the back of the wagon to get it out and that is really difficult. If VW had only cut a hole in the rack where the bolt is, the job would have been easy. I cut a hole in my rack before I re-installed it, solving the problem if it has to be done again. My theory is: the rack was designed for the sedan, whose tail light only has 3 bolts. VW, in their wisdom, used the same rack in the wagon, not realizing it had 4 bolts for the light. A word to the wise if you ever have to do this job.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've done several cars worth of rear tails on Passat wagons and at this point, I unbolt and remove the seat backs, pop off the metal trim at the bottom of the hatch and then remove the entire plastic trim piece(s) in the rear cargo area. It takes about 5-10 minutes but after that everything else is so much easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had to pull the plastic trim pieces aside enough to get the rack out, but it took me a lot longer than 10 minutes, since I hadn't done it before. This is the second thing I modified to make access easier. I cut a little "door" in the splash shield, so oil changes are a lot easier. Ridiculous having to remove it to change oil. Clips usually got broken or lost by service people. Now, just one screw and one clip to access drain plug and filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done several cars worth of rear tails on Passat wagons and at this point, I unbolt and remove the seat backs, pop off the metal trim at the bottom of the hatch and then remove the entire plastic trim piece(s) in the rear cargo area. It takes about 5-10 minutes but after that everything else is so much easier.
Hi! How did you remove the tail gate sill? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.