Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrow down to Koni as the best replacement base on the research in the forum. Any one have similar set-up?

Basically I am looking for comfort rather than anything else. The current stock shocks has too mach rebound over potholes and humps. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What is the drop on the 1BE springs? If they are under 1" then you might want to go with some Bilstein hd's. From what I hear, they are not as stiff as konis or bilstein sports. They are designed to give it more of a stock ride than the other aftermardet shocks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wst said:
What is the drop on the 1BE springs? If they are under 1" then you might want to go with some Bilstein hd's. From what I hear, they are not as stiff as konis or bilstein sports. They are designed to give it more of a stock ride than the other aftermardet shocks.
I tried looking into Bilstein HD for B5.5 but could not find any. Anyone has the HD on their B5.5??

I drop my car about 1" all round

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
I had 1BE springs with Konis on full soft. The front was firm but comfortable. The
rear was firmer than I would prefer,but was not harsh on potholes. It did follow the
contour of the road more than I liked.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have on 4Mo Variant V6, Yellow Konis with 1BE springs (-20mm~-0.75"). I have also front sway 32mm (OE is 29mm) and rear sway 17mm (OE is 15mm) and Upper 4point strut. Front 1/2 turn;Rear 1/4 turn. Perfect road holding,cornering and braking (compared to stock suspension set up). :thumbup: If you do not want to much of drop i think that this is good solution, or Pro-Kit from Eibach.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nenad said:
I have on 4Mo Variant V6, Yellow Konis with 1BE springs (-20mm~-0.75"). I have also front sway 32mm (OE is 29mm) and rear sway 17mm (OE is 15mm) and Upper 4point strut. Front 1/2 turn;Rear 1/4 turn. Perfect road holding,cornering and braking (compared to stock suspension set up). :thumbup: If you do not want to much of drop i think that this is good solution, or Pro-Kit from Eibach.
Well, I love the the drop.... :D and I am on 18".

I am leaning more towards Koni red after reading that the yellow are much stiffer. The thing is that the stock shocks have higher rebound meant for longer travel. Since now the travel is shorter, I guess either Koni red or Bilstein HD will fit the bill.

Anyone has exoerience with Koni red and bilstein HD??

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
1BE has a drop of less than 1 inch. It's more like a 0.75 inch drop. The springs with the closest drop to 1 inch is the Neuspeed SofSports. They have a real drop of 0.95 to 1.1 inch.

Koni doesn't make Reds in our application. Only Yellow. The odd thing I'm finding about Bilstein HDs is that they are more expensive to buy than Bilstein Sports (which is their performance/premium shock).

However, be warned that the Neuspeed is a sporty-riding spring and if comfort is paramount to you, you might not like the Neuspeeds. Ask around though, their comfort level may surprise you.

Have you considered not dropping the vehicle and just changing out to better shocks?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S_Klass said:
1BE has a drop of less than 1 inch. It's more like a 0.75 inch drop. The springs with the closest drop to 1 inch is the Neuspeed SofSports. They have a real drop of 0.95 to 1.1 inch.

Koni doesn't make Reds in our application. Only Yellow. The odd thing I'm finding about Bilstein HDs is that they are more expensive to buy than Bilstein Sports (which is their performance/premium shock).

However, be warned that the Neuspeed is a sporty-riding spring and if comfort is paramount to you, you might not like the Neuspeeds. Ask around though, their comfort level may surprise you.

Have you considered not dropping the vehicle and just changing out to better shocks?
Hi S_Klass

I rekon the drop is close to 1" bec I am using oakhill's configuration to buy the 1BE springs ie matching the kerb weight of the car with the spring rate closest to the weight range instead of swapping it direct using the spec. This actually drops the car more and I think oakhill can testify to that. :D I also think the 18" rims close the gap more because of the larger tire compare to say 17".

I just confirm with my dealer that they do have Koni red for B5.5 which cost similar to the Yellow. I want to avoid sports shocks as far as possible bec they are tuned for road holding and handling with acceptable comfort. I had tried Eibach/Koni yellow, Sach performance kit and KW coilovers in my previous car and I had never like the ride. I am doing this just for the lowered look... :crazy:

Still waiting to confirm the final prices from Bilstein and Koni before I decide.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I believe that Bilstein HD and Sport have the same stiffness, just different shaft length (Sport being shorter).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You should not worry about Koni yellow stiffnes.If you leave them on softest position and put 1BE spring you wiil not notice harsh ride at all, it wiil be as harsh as it is with 18" rims with 40 tire profile.
And 18" rims wil not close gap more compared to 17" rims, if you use proper tire sizes. (17"-225/45 and 18"225/40) as you can calculate, wider your tire is side wall is lower,i.e. harsher ride but...overal diameter of rim&tire is practicaly the same like from OE combo.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Hey Ultravox, you're in SG aren't you? I though I recognized that picture. I stand corrected, there are Koni reds for our application. When my dealer told me there weren't any reds, I guess he was referring to a sport/performance application.

Note that there are GBs going for Konis and Bilsteins in the GB thread. I wonder if prices will be comparable to getting them in SG. :suspicio:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Actually Koni Reds (Special) are available for the Passat, just not very common in the US. Koni NA doesn't import these shocks. You can get 'em from Canada or through some other sources, just not a dealer that sources from Koni NA.
Vogtland for example supplies the Koni Red's in some of their suspension kits. You can't buy the shocks separately, only with the kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ywang98 said:
I believe that Bilstein HD and Sport have the same stiffness, just different shaft length (Sport being shorter).
Can someone confirm this?? I thought HD is refered to Bilstein B4 and Bilstein sports are B6. One is for OE replacements while the other is for performance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S_Klass said:
Hey Ultravox, you're in SG aren't you? I though I recognized that picture. I stand corrected, there are Koni reds for our application. When my dealer told me there weren't any reds, I guess he was referring to a sport/performance application.

Note that there are GBs going for Konis and Bilsteins in the GB thread. I wonder if prices will be comparable to getting them in SG. :suspicio:
Hee hee, I live in Tampines. :lol:

Well the dealer quoted USD 300 for a full set of Koni yellow. How much is the GB in B5?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nenad said:
You should not worry about Koni yellow stiffnes.If you leave them on softest position and put 1BE spring you wiil not notice harsh ride at all, it wiil be as harsh as it is with 18" rims with 40 tire profile.
And 18" rims wil not close gap more compared to 17" rims, if you use proper tire sizes. (17"-225/45 and 18"225/40) as you can calculate, wider your tire is side wall is lower,i.e. harsher ride but...overal diameter of rim&tire is practicaly the same like from OE combo.
Actually my ride right now is not harsh at all compare to the initial ride with 16" rims. I guess the tires played an important role. I am using Yokohama A500 which is crappy for wet conditions but dead quiet and comfortable. Actually I am enjoying this ride much more than my previous set ups even with KW coilovers. The only thing about this ride got to do with the stock shocks bec they have too much rebound and causes the ride to detiorate due to excess vibration in the cabin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GaltLine said:
I have Bilstein HDs with 1BE. They are as still as the Bilstein Sports.
Hi Galtline

How is the ride of Bilstein HD with 1BE? I just place an order for it. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
Ultravox
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing