Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, does anyone know the differents between the cross drilled rotors from Neuspeed for $120 and the crossdrilled from electrodyne for $53? And secondly, how mechanically inclined do you have to be? I'm fairly capable, but this is also a VW. are there any special tools? Procedures? Or anything like that? Any help would be appreciated! And roughly how long will it take?
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Here's a pretty good set of instructions on how to install pads and rotors. You might want to invest in a Bentley Manual as well..

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34022

I'm not too sure about the quality of Electrodyne rotors. Some vendors use cheap OEM rotors, while others don't flush the drill-points well and they end up cracking the rotor and wearing the brakepad surface unevenly. :thumbdow:

Take a look at cross-drilled rotors from ECSTuning if you want to go that route. Also make sure you select a quality brake-pad, and bed them in after installation.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you are looking for a good set of crossdrilled rotors, get some Zimmermans, they are crossdrilled at the factory I believe (one of the only companies that does that). ECS Tuning are also great. Don't be cheap when it comes to braking components. The Zimmerman/ECS rotors are only about 70 bucks each.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean bed them in after install? I just had my pads replaced and VW recommended I replace my rotors........since they can't be turned! Which is rediculous!!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Most rotors for German cars are engineered to tighter tolerances (of our wallet) so they don't have the excess material that allows for them to be turned and reused.

Since our rotors are good for 1 use only, that's a great excuse to go with drilled/slotted rotors! Sneak a peek over at the GB thread for a deal on drilled/slotted rotors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts