Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm glad someone got that. Thanks cchief.

And whah??? Isn't hockey like that anymore? It's been 30+ years since I left Minneota so I might be a little dated.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
They have hockey in Texas, but not on ponds. In NJ, they had it on the river, but now it does not freeze thick enough to skate on. They even used a bulldozer to clean off the snow one year, it went right through the ice and had to be pulled out. A week later, the ice was thick enough to hold a bulldozer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Replaced both sides without removing any other parts. You can buy rebuilt axles for under $50 each, and they come with both inner and outer boots installed.
Cleaner and saves a lot of work lubing and replacing just the boots for just a little expense (maybe even less!)
Hope I'm not too late with this info.
I think I’ll do exactly that - actually, I can get brand new Cardone (Brand) axles for less than 50 USD for each side. Cardone have apparently been making these for as long as VW has made the Passat. My source is Partsavatar.ca with free shipping in Canada.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
AND took the NorthStars with you.....ha
NorthStars - lol the poster child of lost causes for hockey teams. They were either going to move, or rename the team to Saint Jude’s disciples

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
About friggin time... it was weird to find the right steering angle & axle position to remove it; I ended up turning left to remove from the rear. I want to place the boot for now - mostly as a learning exercise, but new axles are ordered...

Reactions: DeliveryValve

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was dirty:

and now clean...ready for new grease...

To separate the shaft, I screwed down the flange with 6 big screws to a hunk of wood, standing up straight... then used my breaker bar With the old axle bolt and tightened it in the shaft to push the casing off...

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's good you are rebooting the original axles. Original axles most likely are better then the reman or aftermarket axles.

I don't usually trust remanufactured axles unless they are from Raxles or CVJ (But I am not sure if CVJ remans volkswagen axles). At least with a TDI, folks who use reman axles or new off brand aftermarket axles from the quick auto parts stores have vibration issues. The vibrations are caused by manufacturing tolerances not to spec. Also the boots usually are inferior quality. Though B5's are tough on quality boots regardless.

Good job in figuring out how to pull the joint apart. When I pull the it apart, I sandwich the axle between two wood blocks and have the joint pressing against it. I take my pry bar that is the almost the same diameter as the bolt and knock the joint out with my 3 lbs hammer while standing on the blocks to hold it down. It pops apart easily.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tada - I used those screw type clamps to put on the weirdo pressure clamps and tightened until I heard the pop of the anchor snap in. I bought a cheapy pincer snip and ground off the sides of it and the sharp edge (so I don’t simply snip off the clamp lol) and used my combo wrenches for extenders. I also tightened the other clamps on the inner side.

Sorry, I don't have any gun mags to place in the picture as Easter eggs for sharp eyes... 😏

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey...

What amount of torque do you apply to the inner flange bolts?

Same question for the axle bolt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
59 on the inners, 140 + 1/2 turn for the axle bolt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
59 on the inners, 140 + 1/2 turn for the axle bolt.
Thanks! I think I need a WAY bigger breaker bar. That last half turn will break mine. Holy Hanna, that’s hard to turn.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Mine is about 24-25" and I use my feet to do the half turn (I do 2 1/4 turns).

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Tada - I used those screw type clamps to put on the weirdo pressure clamps and tightened until I heard the pop of the anchor snap in. I bought a cheapy pincer snip and ground off the sides of it and the sharp edge (so I don’t simply snip off the clamp lol) and used my combo wrenches for extenders. I also tightened the other clamps on the inner side.

View attachment 100176

Sorry, I don't have any gun mags to place in the picture as Easter eggs for sharp eyes... 😏
This is how I did some clamps that seemed a touch too short:

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,312 Posts
This is how I did some clamps that seemed a touch too short:
View attachment 100186
View attachment 100187
I love little tricks like this. I was thinking (woah, careful now!). We need to create a thread that members can post all of their little tips and tricks either they learned while working on these cars, picked up over the years, or tricks of the trade.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I love little tricks like this. I was thinking (woah, careful now!). We need to create a thread that members can post all of their little tips and tricks either they learned while working on these cars, picked up over the years, or tricks of the trade.
Don’t think about it; do it! Get ‘er done

21 - 38 of 38 Posts