Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struck by the pink foamy goo that is the result of leaky oil cooler lines. I bought some replacements, but I need to know if I will have to completely drain the cooling system, or can I just replace the lines?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you the original owner of your B5? If so this is covered under your powertrain warranty. At least it was for me. The dealer replaced the oil cooler for free.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, you don't have to remove ALL the coolant, but when you remove the hoses from the oil cooler, you will lose some coolant.
It's best to refill, and bleed the cooling system when you're done.

Bleed nipple is located right of the batter, underneath that accordian looking root at the base of the windshielf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having the same problem too (leaky oiler cooler lines). The dealer said that the warranty wont conver the "lines" (in/out). Any idea about the price/cost?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went and checked my reciept as I bought some other stuff and didn't know what the lines cost. Funny thing, they didn't charge me for them! The guy didn't say anything about them being covered under warranty, and I didn't even mention that I was buying them because of the common failure of these lines (for all he knew I was going to make birdhouses out of them!). So I don't know what they cost, sorry! 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts