Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001.5 Passat GLS 1.8T sedan. I've now come to the point where I need to replace its tires. One option is to replace all four tires with the same type that came with my car - Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. On the other hand, I checked The Tire Rack and found what I think may be better tires at better prices, but I thought I'd come here to get some extra opinion and advice.

At first glance, the tire I like is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. I'm not looking for performance tires or anything like that. Just a very good, solid replacement tire. I value a smooth ride and durability. I was pretty satisfied with the Michelin Energy's that came with my car, so I wouldn't mind going back to those if I had to.

Other best sellers for the 2001.5 Passat GLS at The Tire Rack include:

Yokohama AVS dB S2
Yokohama Avid H4S
Continental ContiTouringContact CH95
Kumho ECSTA HP4 716

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
The Turanza is a great tire, no doubt. I've also had Potenzas in the past, and was very happy with those, too.

This time, I followed Consumer Reports' rankings and went with the Falken Ziex ZE-512, since they considered it a good substitute for the Bridgestones at about 2/3 the price. So far, I haven't mounted them on my Passat, but we put them on my wife's Saturn L-series and they have made things a lot quieter, smoother, and provided a TON more grip vs. the OE Firestones. Discounttire.com has them with free shipping at the moment, and Sears and NTB carry them nationwide. TireRack doesn't carry them, AFAIK.

The stock Michelin MXV4 (Energy) are best for rolling resistance, so they are a good choice for a TDI or Hybrid where economy is tops. However, the Falkens are very, very light and reduce unsprung weight for a lot less $ than buying a superlight wheel :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Turanza LS-H was rated highly by Consumer Reports, too. A solid choice. I'd choose that one over the other ones you listed.

Falken Ziex ZE-512 has a great price, but will probably wear a little quicker than both the stock Michelin and Turanza LS-H, as it has more grip. At about 1/3 the price of the stock Michelins, you don't have a lot to lose, though.

How many miles did you get out of your stock tires?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got about 47,000 miles on my car right now and the stock Michelins still have a bit left. Are there any significant or immediate differences in the Turanza when compared to the Energy? Will my miles per gallon increase or decrease?

Also, what is rolling resistance? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
tdb said:
Also, what is rolling resistance? Thanks.
The Ziex is "supposed" to last 40k, which is very ambitious for a performance tire. But even if you get 35k from a Ziex and 45k from a Turanza, the cost difference more than makes up for it...plus you get the great quietness and excellent grip in the meantime.

Rolling resistance isn't generally measured/listed for tires. It's a measure of the friction created by simply rolling across the road. It's generally unnoticed by most drivers--but the high-mpg crowd (diesel and hybrid drivers) focus on it because you can improve your efficiency by up to 1-2mpg with low-resistance tires.

Of course, you should also run small rims and narrow tires for high mpg, but there are always tradeoffs :)

·
Registered
27,565 Posts
I had the Turanza LS-H on my 2000 Passat. A good tire,but a bit pricy. They rode well, were quiet on the highway and had good grip in the rain. I ended up getting the Kumho ASX this time around. Much cheaper and they ride and handle great.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The biggest difference you will see with the Turanza LS-H compared to the stock Michelins is much better wet traction capability. You will also love the Turanza for its quiet ride.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Turanza all the way. Put about 50k miles on some Turanza LS-Zs on a BMW 7 series and still had tread left, fantastic tires....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna with the Turanazas.

Now I've just got to find the best deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts