Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at a muffler shop recently installing tips on my b5 V6 and i talked to the guy about getting a little sound out of my system...

in the past i had taken off a resonator off of my old b4 vr6 passat and installed a straight pipe....long story short, it was a very bad move because it took away all of the back pressure, resulting in the car having little to no low end torque...

seeing is how i dont want to do that again, for obvious reasons, i asked the guy if it would do any damage to REMOVE the big vw resonator, and replace it with a much smaller sized one..

he told me it would get me a little growl, and it wont mess anything up...WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??

·
Registered
605 Posts
WHAT DO I THINK... do a search !!!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
i was at a muffler shop recently installing tips on my b5 V6 and i talked to the guy about getting a little sound out of my system...

in the past i had taken off a resonator off of my old b4 vr6 passat and installed a straight pipe....long story short, it was a very bad move because it took away all of the back pressure, resulting in the car having little to no low end torque...

bwahahahahahahahahahha!!!!! you really don't have a clue how an engine works do you?

seeing is how i dont want to do that again, for obvious reasons, i asked the guy if it would do any damage to REMOVE the big vw resonator, and replace it with a much smaller sized one..

he told me it would get me a little growl, and it wont mess anything up...WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??
do a search for resonator.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwahahahahahahahahahha!!!!! you really don't have a clue how an engine works do you?

do a search for resonator.

i know how an ENGINE works....not an exhaust system...

and yes, i did do a seach for resonator...all i saw was that replacing resonator with a straight pipe is no good.

So, if ur gonna laugh at my expense, save yourself the trouble, and just dont reply:thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
i know how an ENGINE works....not an exhaust system...

and yes, i did do a seach for resonator...all i saw was that replacing resonator with a straight pipe is no good.

So, if ur gonna laugh at my expense, save yourself the trouble, and just dont reply:thumbup:
if you REALLY knew how an engine worked, especially a turbo motor, you'd know that you can't have an exhaust that's too big or too unrestricted. the only people that didn't like removing the resonator were people that didn't like the sound. performance wise removing that 45 pound piece of shit with a straight pipe is almost as good as doing a full 2.5" exhaust....almost.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
if you REALLY knew how an engine worked, especially a turbo motor, you'd know that you can't have an exhaust that's too big or too unrestricted. the only people that didn't like removing the resonator were people that didn't like the sound. performance wise removing that 45 pound piece of shit with a straight pipe is almost as good as doing a full 2.5" exhaust....almost.
Two things paul.

1. He has a v6

2. Turbos need a small bit of Back pressure to maintain equal load on both sides of the turbine so no to wear out the bearings prematurely. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
ever drive a non turbo car and the exhaust breaks off of it and it loses power?
thats what a loss of back pressure does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts