Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my wife's 2003 Passat GLX 4Motion, it was recently in an accident and the core support, radiator, and cooling fans (among other things) were damaged and need to be replaced. While disassembling everything I came across another part that needs to be replaced but I'm not sure exactly what it is called, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help identify it so I can order a new one. I am including a couple of pictures for reference. This part is a red foam ring, approx 2-3 inches in diameter, it sits in a bracket near the bottom of the engine and is attached to the core support. The bracket with the foam ring inside rests on a spindle that protrudes from the engine on one side, and is attached to the core support on the other side. Any help identifying the name of this part so I can order a new one would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Snub mount. Should be under engine mounts on most part websites. AutoZone has a slightly better version than the OEM foam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jayhatch1, i recently went through this exact same repair - my son was driving our Passat and hit someone from behind. it was a low-speed accident, so the sheetmetal was okay and the bumper cover was only scuffed, but the radiator/core support was damaged, along with the grill and the grill support. additionally, one of the foglight trims fell off and got run over by passing traffic. so i just thought i'd offer my 2 cents on this repair.

i got an OE grill, OE bumper support and OE foglight trim from a popular parts vendor, but the OE radiator/core support was US$270 - $300...so i went with the Chinese knock-off they sell on eBay for $70. it wasn't terrible, but it required a bit more work than the OE unit would have. most of the speed nuts on the knock-off are crap, so i salvaged the ones from my original unit; additionally, there was some flashing around where the headlights go that prevented the headlights from going in properly, but i was able to trim that off with a utility knife. lastly, the support appeared to have been cracked in shipping, but it was a small crack and i was in a hurry so i repaired it with CA glue and it came out pretty well. so if you are considering using the knock-off, just know that it will take a bit of work to get a good result (as compared to the OE unit).

overall the repair was pretty easy, the only part that was difficult was un-installing and re-installing the radiator. my passat has an automatic so i had to deal with the transmission coolant lines; a bit of muscle was sufficient to get them off and also to get them back on. i lost a bit of ATF, but i took the car to a local shop afterwards and they refilled it for $70 ($50 labor and $20 for a liter of what i can only assume is awesome ATF). the radiator hoses were similarly difficult to remove and replace; the bottom hose especially wouldn't go back on until i warmed it a few minutes with an embossing gun from my wife's crafting tool kit (kinda like a heat gun on a very low setting).

my headlights (cheap knock-offs that were on the car when we bought it used) were okay after the accident, but i had a set of OE headlights that i was planning to install on the car (I was just putting it off because i didn't feel like removing the bumper cover) so i swapped those out during the repair. the car came out great, i haven't had a chance to buff out the few small scuffs on the bumper cover, but you can't see them from 5 feet away anyway so i guess i'll get to that in the next few days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts