Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealership wants $1275 to replace upper control arms. How extensive of a repair would this be? Im not very mechanically expierenced but i have to start somewhere (and saving a lot of money seems like a good place to do it). I dont have the bentley manual to look up the procedure right now, so to those who have done it, how bad is it?

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
You can buy a kit with all eight control arms (upper and lower) for under $500. Replacing them should take under 4 hours. Do the math, you are getting raped by your dealership.

BTW, if you completed your public profile we would know what year and model car you had. Thus, answering these questions would be easier.:poke:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My dealership wants $1275 to replace upper control arms. How extensive of a repair would this be? Im not very mechanically expierenced but i have to start somewhere (and saving a lot of money seems like a good place to do it). I dont have the bentley manual to look up the procedure right now, so to those who have done it, how bad is it?

Surprised you are worried about UCA's when your dad is trying to take your car away and sell it, based on your other post. What gives? Sounds like you may be investing in a car you won't have for long, if your dad has his way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i buy the upper CAs salvage, and do the work myself it shouldnt be to bad even if i lose the car in 5 or 6 months. Im just wondering how bad the actual install is, and how mechanically inclined you have to be to do it. I definitly wont pay $1200 to get it done until i know if im losing it or not. If i could find the UCAs for $100 or $200 from a yard it would be worth it. My car is a 99 V6.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
The hard part is the Upper control arm pinch bolt, and the making sure you have the suspension at ride high when you tighten stuff.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The job is a pain in the ass and can be easily fucked up if you don't pay attention to the details, such as setting the UCA's at the proper height. Getting the rear LCA mounting bolt on and off can require lowering the subframe and if it shifts while the bolts are lose, your alignment is going to be skewed. Do your homework, make sure you fully understand what you are doing and decide if you are up to the challenge! If you decide to go forward, do the job at your own pace and don't try to rush it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are gettin raped, i have a mechanic that is specialized on Hondas and VW/Audis only, and he is quite good. I got my 1 upper control arm from a junk yard that offers 6 month warranty for 50 bucks and i have to say it was like brand new. Igot it shipped from a VW/Audi junkyard thats located in Washington State. And i got it installed for 70 bucks. It all depends on how far you are willing to research and save some mooolah. Contact me via e mail for any interests.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Do a search. It has been done but I don't remember who did it. IIRC getting the correct part numbers is the difficult piece.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
You can save a lot by buying them all at once (ie, whole is much cheaper than sum of parts...like $450 for all eight, but $100+ for one).

So rather than fix them piecemeal, you might just do them all if you plan to keep the car a while.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
what Tom said, and it's also got to be pressed into place with more pressure on a press that many shops do not have.

·
Registered
537 Posts
1275 for upper control arms. That sounds like robbery!

Buy some new febi bilsteins or some such. They're £30-£40 each in UK and should be cheaper in the US I'd have thought. Even if you have to pay someone to get the pinch bolts loosened they should only charge you 30 or 40 bucks a pop? The rest of the job is not too tricky.

Now I have both mine loosened I'm going to grease the bolt at regular intervals

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
As far as I know, the ball joints are not replaceable. Herman replaced his bushings with a bench vise.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
As far as I know, the ball joints are not replaceable. Herman replaced his bushings with a bench vise.
is that on his website, PZ? I don't recall seeing it there...

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
It was on his K-Mac camber kit writeup years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts