Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have advice on reinstalling the clutch pedal after installing new master cylinder.
Don't seem to be able to reinstall the over center spring any tips appreciated.
2002 model year have pedal on shaft looking for method to reinstall the over center spring

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Never mind the yellow arrow. That was from something else.

If you look at the green and white clips just above the master cylinder, you see how the over center spring is installed.
It basically just sits in there and is only under any kind of pressure when the pedal is pushed down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andreas
Can I do this in situ or do I have to take the assembly out of the car.
Also the green mounting blocks are they universal or are they specific in the way they are positioned. Mine look like the grooves are not symmetrical with a deeper slot on one side . wonedreing if there is a top or bottom to the way they are installed.
Thanks for your assistance

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
You can do this while everything is installed, but I'm here to tell you it's not easy. Unless you have small hands and are very flexible it's a bare of a job.
I removed and replaced mine a few years back when I had some master clutch cylinder problems. I let a few cuss words slip out during that project.
I don't remember for sure but I think the green plastic tabs (blocks) have the deeper grooves on the bottom.
As for left and right, I think they are the same. But don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I would agree that having done many repairs over the years this has to be one of the most challenging.
Just trying to see and manipulate in the small space made me think that the professionals must just take the car apart as it is easier.
Now I am in sight of the finish line I will see if I can complete the task.
My logic was the deeper grooves on the bottom and they look identical so don't believe there is a left or right.

Thanks for the support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.