Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a customer decide to take his V8 Touareg into water way too deep, and hydro-lock his engine. He obviously, took a running start into a very, very deep puddle. Anyways, today was the first day that I was working on it. The motor is completely wasted, it threw a rod through the side of the block. I removed the motor, and took some pics with my camera phone. Figured you guys would be interested to see how the motor is removed.

we use a special tool that supports the motor, so that it comes out from the bottom. As well as the trans, transfer case, front suspension, and front brakes!

and here's a pic of me taking a ride.....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics of the damage....

the rod went through the block...on both sides-

lower half, without the engine-

new motor, with everything swapped over-

and the tool that makes it all possible-

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope...just cash, and lots of it. $18K for the motor itself. Plus 35 hours labor, for a grand total of about $25K. He's lucky he's got insurance.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Stats said:
rpaller said:
Wonder what 25K will do to your premium?
18K for my B5.5 GLX in June 2001 (TS Allison) did not affect mine at all. 10k for the motor, part only.
Stats, that had to have sucked. I took delivery of my car that Saturday 06/09/01 from Momentum and couldn't get over all the cars that I saw that were flooded out from the night before. Cars were coming in one after another on tow trucks. Their service department worked 7 day weeks for months to get the back log of cars serviced.

There is an Acadamy store close by and they resorted to storing flooded out cars in their lot. Must have filled 33% of the lot. Was a sad sight seeing VWs and Audis with condensation on the inside of the windows, or stripped of seats and carpets and the others that had "totaled" written on their windows.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
Stats said:
rpaller said:
Wonder what 25K will do to your premium?
18K for my B5.5 GLX in June 2001 (TS Allison) did not affect mine at all. 10k for the motor, part only.
Stats, that had to have sucked. I took delivery of my car that Saturday 06/09/01 from Momentum and couldn't get over all the cars that I saw that were flooded out from the night before. Cars were coming in one after another on tow trucks. Their service department worked 7 day weeks for months to get the back log of cars serviced.

There is an Acadamy store close by and they resorted to storing flooded out cars in their lot. Must have filled 33% of the lot. Was a sad sight seeing VWs and Audis with condensation on the inside of the windows, or stripped of seats and carpets and the others that had "totaled" written on their windows.
I remember that. I was in texas the week after that. It totalled one of our old friends cars. Our VW dealership here in b'ham flooded a while back. Well not the whole thing, but about 2 full rows of VWs were totalled :cry:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.