Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Passat 4-Motion
The radio seems to only pick up a couple of FM stations. Dead air on AM and the bulk of FM
My dealer SUCKS. I won't go near the place but would like to replace the radio.
Is it difficult?
This car is nothing but problems but fills the bill for teh moment.
The dealer is so bad that I dumped my JettaTDI (paid cash for both cars) so I would not have to go back.The radio on the Jetta was replaced three or four times if I recall! They must have had issues with Monsoon.
Anyway,advice re:passat replacement is more than welcome and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Sounds like the amplifier in the antenna base went bad... Or possibly the cable has a loose connection between the HU and the ant. base.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...do I have to replace the whole radio?

If so,how difficult is it?
If you think that I do not have to replace thing where do you suggest I take it to to get it fixed? Local dealer is not an option. Are there shops that deal in radios of all kinds?Thanks.
Alan

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
First of all, you can test the amplifier / cable by putting the radio into diagnostic mode. Do a search on "poor radio reception fern" and you will find a recent thread on how to put your radio into this mode. Second, are you still under warranty? IIRC, 2003 MY is 4 years/50k miles bumper to bumper. If you are under warranty, take it to the dealer and they will fix free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! Thanks. I will begin to search.

Due to all the miles my wife put on it we are out of warranty.What really galls me is that it went out when it WAS under warranty but she never bothered to take it in (too busy).The dealer would have fixed it,I suppose,but it would have taken days and days.His M.O was to take the car and then keep it for a full day and then report that nothing was wrong.That is why I dumped the Jetta (loved the car but it had some minor issues). I can't be bothered with a lying,cheating dealer. I replaced it with the first American car I have ever owned and while not fun to drive,I have had basically no problems.
Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts