Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New to the group but longtime VW owner. Great to be here!

I had the EPC code light up in the dashboard of my 2016 VW Passat GL (1.8L turbo engine). I used a code reader and it looked like I needed to replace the Turbocharger Boost Sensor/MAP Sensor. I did that, but my code was still lighting up. I then discovered that one of the three wires leading to the plug/wiring harness itself was broken (it's a four-wire harness, though it only had three wires connected to it -odd-, but only one of the three wires was broken). I ordered a new terminal connector from the dealership and I pick it up tomorrow. Do you (or anyone) know how to best replace the terminal connector? I'm 99% sure it doesn't come with a wire pigtail attached, just the plug itself, so I'll have to figure out how to attach the plug to the wires. Will I need any special tools? I found many aftermarket versions online with a wire pigtail attached to them but I decided to go with the VW OEM. Should I have gone with one with the wire pigtail attached instead and just attached using insulated wire connectors?

Note: I don't see a way to unplug or disconnect the wires from the harness, so I'll probably need to cut the other two wires that are still attached. Please advise with that in mind.
Show less

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts
If you pull codes, please post the actual code. It can mean many things. Short to ground, implausible signal, intermittent, etc.

Pic of the broken wire and plug?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you pull codes, please post the actual code. It can mean many things. Short to ground, implausible signal, intermittent, etc.

Pic of the broken wire and plug?
The most recent codes pulled are:

1.P023800 Turbocharger Boost Sensor (A) Circ. -High Input Passive/Abiogenesis
2.P023600 Turbocharger Boost Sensor (A) Circ. - Range/Performance Passive/Abiogenesis

See attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts

That other code isn't published with much info, but basically it just says out of range.

When you get that plug from the dealer, ask for the corresponding repair wire. It will be a yellow wire with the correct terminal end about 6 inches long. You may also need to find a terminal removal tool to get the other 2 wires out of the old plug. Worst case, get 4 repair wires, cut the old ones off, and solder/weatherproof crimp the repairs wires on. Or, buy the aftermarket pigtail. It should work no differently than the OEM connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

That other code isn't published with much info, but basically it just says out of range.

When you get that plug from the dealer, ask for the corresponding repair wire. It will be a yellow wire with the correct terminal end about 6 inches long. You may also need to find a terminal removal tool to get the other 2 wires out of the old plug. Worst case, get 4 repair wires, cut the old ones off, and solder/weatherproof crimp the repairs wires on. Or, buy the aftermarket pigtail. It should work no differently than the OEM connector.
Yeah, I just purchased the code reader and I'm just learning to use it. It's a THINKCAR Thinkdiag Full System OBD2 Diagnostic Tool that uses a cell phone app as the interface for reading the codes. No other information was provided besides what I provided you.

I spoke to both the dealer parts department and repair center today and, after discussing what it takes to repair the wire, I think I'm just going to opt for the aftermarket with the pigtail. Seems like a lot less time-consuming and has a smaller margin for error. I've connected plenty of wires before (with both butt connectors and solder) and I'm a lot more comfortable doing that. Hopefully the quality is at least good enough to do the trick. Any suggestions on aftermarket VW parts companies that you trust (that would sell this kind of part)? Also, do you suggest soldering the wires and adding a shrink tube over it or using a heat shrink butt connector? The wires are such a small gauge (22 gauge maybe?) that I'm concerned that it might be tough to get a good solid connection.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts
It’s a plug. Not much can go wrong. I have no brand preference on ones I may need.

See if that part number is the same one as the coil pack connectors. If so, you can get a 4 pack of pigtails on Amazon for less $15. Just cap off the unused wire.

Pack of 4 Ignition Coil Connector Plug Pigtail Harness Compatible with Volkswagen VW & Audi 1.8T, 2.0T, 2.5L, 3.2L, 4.2L Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X6W1R35/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E8VTAEXAGEN2E3B9AF2W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a plug. Not much can go wrong. I have no brand preference on ones I may need.

See if that part number is the same one as the coil pack connectors. If so, you can get a 4 pack of pigtails on Amazon for less $15. Just cap off the unused wire.

Pack of 4 Ignition Coil Connector Plug Pigtail Harness Compatible with Volkswagen VW & Audi 1.8T, 2.0T, 2.5L, 3.2L, 4.2L Vehicles Amazon.com: Pack of 4 Ignition Coil Connector Plug Pigtail Harness Compatible with Volkswagen VW & Audi 1.8T, 2.0T, 2.5L, 3.2L, 4.2L Vehicles : Automotive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I saw those as well and it's a great price. I almost bought them, but the number is slightly different. Those say 1J0 973 724 but the original one installed is 8k0 973 704. The pictures look identical (the wire colors are different), but I don't know if it's worth risking it. Wish I could compare side by side. Do you know if there's a way to determine if they're the same/compatible just from the part numbers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts