Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 1/2 Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon and I need to replace the tires for the first time. I was hoping that someone might have a recommendation for an alternative to the stock Michelins, also I was thinking about increasing the hight of the car to give it more of a Volvo Cross Country look, is this a good idea? Any ideas or suggetions would be greatly welcomed. (By increasing the hight I mean by buying a larger tire.)

volvo xc70 215/65/HR16 Pirelli Scorpion

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know of any taller tire that will work but you can use a wider tire, 225/50/16. For all-season, both the Continental Extreme Contacts and the Yokohama AVS DB S2's are good choices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tires

what are the benefits of going witha wider tire? How will they affect the performance and gas milleage?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The wider contact patch should give you better cornering stability and steering response. Some members on here have reported that they have had significant changes in gas mileage though with the wider tires.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I highly recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs, as they run quiet, and perform well on dry and wet roads. This winter, we had one snow storm that dropped about 3-4 inches of snow one night and the tires handled surprisingly well. These tires are highly rated in driver reviews at www.tirerack.com, and also rated well in a recent Consumer Reports article. I put 205-60R15s on my GIAC-equipped '98 Passat 1.8TM, as I wanted a little wider than OEM but wanted to minimize the MPG drop that you get with wider tires.
Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts