Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - So I finially found the determination to replace the Coolant Temp sensor.
Simple enough but getting to the darn thing on an 03 1.8T is not easy.
I removed the pressure pipe and combination valve along with a wire harness
and just did get enough access.
The plastic retainer clip had been install so that the removing direction was toward the engine itself - further eliminating space to remove it.
The KEY here: I had read in other post that the plastic spring clip could easly "SPRING OUT" on removal and be lost forever. SO I TIED A LONG PIECE OF DENTAL FLOSS to the clip prior to removal. Yes - it flew out but was retained by the dental floss teather. I would recomended highly.
I reinstalled the clip in the opposite direction & it cliped in secure.
However - I did find somthing disturbing. *** NEED YOUR HELP ****
When I inspected the conbination check valve if was full of yellow brown cream stuff - oily cream. This also seems to be somwhat in the pressure pipe. I am heading to the dealer tomorrow to get a new combination valve.
Has anyone found this before - It can't be good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New Combination Valve & Temp Sensor

In reply to my own post here:

I completely removed the high pressure metal pipe leading to the COMBI Valve and it was full of sludge. Cleaned it out and installed NEW COMBI VALVE.
Dealer said that the COMBI valve fails and lets hot exhaust air gasses mix with water vapor - creating the funky stuff. Not to mention what ever the heck the valve is supose to do anyway - it was dead.
So now everything is back together - Temp Gauge working @ 190 and I guess
the new COMBI VALVE is doing its job.
03 1.8t Chip, TT DV - 74K

·
Registered
830 Posts
Any chance of a few pics? My temp gauge works for a while then stops again then works again...
What is this combi valve you are on about?

Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
11 Posts
In reply to my own post here:

I completely removed the high pressure metal pipe leading to the COMBI Valve and it was full of sludge. Cleaned it out and installed NEW COMBI VALVE.
Dealer said that the COMBI valve fails and lets hot exhaust air gasses mix with water vapor - creating the funky stuff. Not to mention what ever the heck the valve is supose to do anyway - it was dead.
So now everything is back together - Temp Gauge working @ 190 and I guess
the new COMBI VALVE is doing its job.
03 1.8t Chip, TT DV - 74K
My Combi Valve "rattles" on cold start, and when blipping throttle...gonna replace it shortly!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the back of the engine - at the firewall - a black round top & plastic valve
is just above the coolant temp sensor. My understanding is that on a cold start - it allows warm air pass until the spring in the combi valve closes at a defined temp.
I would highly suggest ALL Passat owners to check this valve for sludge crap that I had.
If your water temp gauge is working only part time - the temp sensor replacement is easy once you gain access.
Green Temp Sensor - $22
Combi Valve - $36
*Dealer said both are very common failures.
Expect to spend about 3 hrs to replace both - if you don't know what you are doing ` like me.
By the Way - Bentley Manual wan NOT much help ~ sorry no photos.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was trying to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor and found that removing the pressure pipe and the Combination Valve - I had good access. Once I removed the Combi Valve - I noticed all the sludge inside.
Just discovered by accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts