Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I replaced the secondary air injection pump with a new (used) one. I worked too -- I could hear it running when I started the car. Yet this morning when I started the car up to go get it smogged, I got the EMISSIONS WORKSHOP warning again, and when I pulled the code with my VAG-COM, it was the same error as before -- "insufficient flow" from secondary air injection pump on both cylinder banks.

So... what can I check next? I have the car sold, actually.. the buyer wants to pick it up tomorrow, so I'm kinda under the gun to get it figured out since he didn't want to deal with fixing it himself.

I know the hoses from the airbox to the pump and from the pump up to the front of the motor are good... beyond that, no idea. I'm not sure what the path is. I've replaced most if not all of the PCV hoses already, plus the vacuum fitting thing at the back of the motor and the various vacuum hoses.

What else can I check?

Thanks!!

Rob

·
Registered
28,514 Posts
If the plastic hose from the pump to the front of the motor is intact, the lines to the combi valve should also be fine as they are metal on the older V6 engines. I would start with the vacuum lines to the combi valves, they can crack easily and still be in place. I would use a vacuum pump to make certain they are intact and that the combi valves are not blown. You can also run the output tests in vagcom on the SAIP system. The solenoid should activate and allow vacuum to pass through to the valves. If all of that is good, check the combi valves themselves. It would be unusual for both of them to fail at the same time, so the solenoid or vacuum system is usually the problem (otherwise it would show bank 1 or bank 2, not both).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I have a Mity-Vac but I'm not sure what the procedure is for the test you're suggesting...

This stuff is all up on the top rear of the motor at the firewall isn't it? I seem to recall tracing those metal pipes back that way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I have a Mity-Vac but I'm not sure what the procedure is for the test you're suggesting...

This stuff is all up on the top rear of the motor at the firewall isn't it? I seem to recall tracing those metal pipes back that way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nevermind... I found one vacuum line that looked bad that I hadn't replaced before. I replaced it, cleared all the codes, and drove it around for a half hour without a problem. The new owner picked it up soonafter.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.