Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm working on replacing parts on my newly-acquired W8 one by one.

Tonight's project was to replace the faulty door lock mechanism on my driver's side door.

The swap went fairly smoothly and the new (VW-OEM) unit is now working perfectly as it should.

One weird thing though is that now my outside door handle doesn't go back in all the way. There seems to be something inside the door frame that is spring-loaded that is pushing it out a little. I can push the handle in, against the spring-loaded mechanism inside, but it doesn't rest all the way in like it used to.

The other weird thing is this part that seems to be pressing it out doesn't seem to be related at all to anything I replaced (the door lock) or anything else I even touched or messed with while doing the swap (unless I'm missing something).

The handle cable provides a very small amount of tension, and pulling it too tight just causes the door to not latch all the way, so that's not a solution, I found out :(

Anyone have any idea what this is, or if maybe it's adjustable?
(pic with the handle pulled out):
20180606_222756.jpg

(pic with the door handle as far in as it will go, and pushed up against whatever that is inside):
20180606_222816.jpg

(pic with the lock assembly back in and how the handle rests on its own now):
20180606_222949.jpg

Holy cow you can see those scratches SO well with that much light shining on them :cry: (don't worry, I'm getting paint repair done soon) ;)

I really don't want to go the route of starting to file things down, if I can avoid that. I also don't really want to have to pull it all apart again if I can avoid it.

What did I do wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

E

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I wouldn't expect to fix this by filing anything, since presumably it was fine before. But I do think that you'll have to do some disassembly to figure it out. I kind of remember having to screw around with the handle and lock module at one time because of something like this. May take some patience though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take another swing at it tonight since I'll have it torn apart again anyway (although wasn't anticipating all the way again, since I'm just replacing the switches).

I'll keep ya posted what I find out about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay! I pulled the lock cylinder back out and started poking around in there to see if there would be anything I could do before pulling the entire door panel apart again...

As it turns out, the part that it was pushing against (the part circled in my pics above) is supposed to be pulled forward BEFORE putting the handle in, then the handle locks behind it!

If anyone else is doing this- take note that the still won't feel right (won't pull out all the way) until you have the lock cylinder installed again and start screwing it back in. As you're screwing, you'll hear a 'clunk' and it all just settles beautifully into place.

Good as new again!

I'm remembering how much I love German engineering. Replaced a few other interior components tonight as well and everything has a ridiculous amount of thought and over-engineering put into it (even down to the LED that lights the rear ash tray).

If nothing else, maybe this will help someone in the future who does this (since all the videos I found on it only show disassembly, then suddenly it's all magically put back together again saying 'assembly is reverse of disassembly)... mhm... only if you caught and remember every little German-engineered detail that happened during disassembly ;)

E

1 - 5 of 5 Posts