Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster. Never worked on cars until I blew the head-gasket
Have a 04 1.8l and after replacing the gasket my compression tests out at 160.160. 160, 170
Question: Are those compression too low and if so, what can I do about it?
Thank you

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Those are good numbers. The average range to gauge if the compression is good or not is above 140psi to 160ish. At least that's I remember from my early days of education.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It also depends on how you measured them. Engine warm? Cold?

My 2003, 1.8t came 180 on all four pistons cold, which is why I bought the car :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Can I tighten the head bolts incrementally to bring the compression up?
NO.
Now this begs the question, did you replace the head bolts with new ones when you replaced the head gasket?
The head bolts on your engine are ONE TIME USE ONLY.
I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to head down a completely different avenue.

I read someplace that it should be between 180-210
Based on what I remember and my years of working cars my earlier post is what I go by.
Maybe some others can chime in here.
PZ, VAGguy or other reputable members can confirm.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
I'd be very satisfied with that pressure. Those are the numbers you want to see. Close to the middle of what the Bentley shows as compression values on a NEW engine (145-203 psi).

Reactions: Airkewld38

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd go with those numbers. For a turbocharged engine, that's pretty good. NO NO NO NO on the tightening of the head bolts any more than stock. These bolts stretch once used, so I wouldn't just tighten them. Besides, that's not how engine compression works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts