Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue come up while replacing by clutch in my Passat. When my sutto mechanic (drive way ranger) was assisting he pulled out the hydrolic line from the CMC to the slave/release cylinder.There was a small rubber grommet that was stuck deep down in the the tube which feeds brake fluid to the release cylinder. We were not able to get that little bugger back inside the the channel and so we had a major leak there. We pulled a hydrolic line from a 2004 Audi 'A4 and although is fits in to slave fine and it is held in place with a small clip. Now we are still get a leak right where the hyrolic seats in the slave cylinder. Does anyone have an idea for a workaround on fixing the leak apart from either buying another line from a 1998 to 2001 b5 OR B5.5 model years? pulling the clutch maser cylinder and reinstalling that was a monument PITA job. I wont go through that again. I just am looking for a solution to fix the leak or do I need to try and find a similar B5 at area junk yards. The issue there is when checking inventory at Pick N Pull yards in the San Francisco bay area, you can't tell if they have auto or manual transmission.And it doesn't ID tranny type in the VIN. This entire experience has been a major PITA headache and at this point I would like to just roll this car off a cliff. To see it smash into the rocks and burst into flames would lift my spirits;. Any ideas from the land would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
There really is no 'work around', it either seals or it doesn't.

The link below is from ECS Tuning. That is a site used by many here on this forum.

Seal Replacement Kit

According to the web site this is the proper seal replacement kit.
I've never purchased said kit so I can't confirm 100% it is the right thing.
I guess it strikes me odd that ECS is selling this kit while every parts store and dealership will tell you that you need to buy the clutch master cylinder as new in order to get the needed seal and o-ring.

I personally went through this ordeal on my 1998 GLS V6 a few years back. And yes it was the nightmare of all nightmares.
I got very lucky and the guy at the parts store 'disassembled' a brand new clutch master cylinder and gave me the o-ring from inside where it seals the hydraulic clutch line.
It pays to have a relationship with your parts store counter person. ;)

You could try and hunt for what you need in the salvage yard or try your local parts store and see if you can get lucky as I did.
If you do replace just the o-ring inside the clutch master cylinder, be careful, it takes patience and a something like a dental tool with NO sharp edges to get the o-ring back in place.
Any scratches on the o-ring or plastic ferule on the clutch line will result in a leak.

Reactions: Big Rob G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Andreas. And you are indeed correct. I will probably end up replacing the clutch slave/release cyligunder. I had a friend who found another slave cylinder at auto wreckers and the O-ring or grommet is indeed inside the tube where the hydrolic line enters the slave. We ran a different hydrolic line from CMC to CSC that we pulled from a 2004 Audi A4. This line accually fits better but is of a slightly different design. It has a cone shaped end instead of a straight tube is on the B5/B5.5. Now I realize that the compatible Audi A4's are years 1996-2001. Through a bit of ingeniuty (and McGuiver technique) I stacked two O rings of staggering size up along the cone and then the line seemed to suck right in and after the clip is inserted it stopped the leak. I ran out of light so I am diving back in today to see if I can bleed the system and get the clutch to work. Thank you for your feed back. My dread is that the line wont hold the pressure which will make it a must that I replace the cylinders AND THE HYDROLIC LINE. I can get both Master and Slave online for around $50 but the hydroic line goes for over $150! So much for pitching pennies. Peace..........................Out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts