Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone here has successfully replaced the ignition coil connectors by depin (using a DIY tool like this), or in other words without splicing and crimping the wires to new pins. I've found two connector parts which may fit the car, 4B0973724 and 8K0973724. Generic versions of these connectors are sold but I've been reading the reviews on Amazon and apparently there can be different types of pin slots in the connectors so there's no guarantee that the replacement connector will accept the old pins.

8K0973724 OEM is $8 (x4 = $32) at my dealer. OTOH a pack of generic connectors sells for half that (for example here and here). Both of those generic listings appear to come with old style pins (though slightly different wing locations) and so I assume old style pin slots.

I also have broken connectors on my B6 if anyone has info on them as well.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
If you are going to just de-pin, bite the bullet and get the OEM ones. If you get the Aliexpress ones, just be prepared to meticulously remove each pin from the end of each wire and use the new pins in the case the new plug does not accept the old pins. I had to do that. It wasn't horrible, but not fun in freezing temps in a driveway.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
If you are going to just de-pin, bite the bullet and get the OEM ones.
That'd be the route I would take. It assures a nice solid connection reducing risk of misfires.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
That'd be the route I would take. It assures a nice solid connection reducing risk of misfires.
Not saying that you wouldn't get a nice solid connection by re-pinning the ends, but definitely easier to just reinsert into the new plugs.

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
I bought a pin tool at the local AutoZone. It had 4+ pin sizes and worked great on the ignition coil connectors as well as every other connecter I needed to repair on my car. I used generic connectors from Ebay and they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I started that job on my (late) 2005 1.8T Audi A4 (close relative to the B5.5 Passat) with connectors I got from an eBay seller. They were genuine FCI Interconnect connectors, made in Hungary, and came with a decent de-pin tool.

But... upon starting the job on cylinder 1, I discovered that the wires were all well-baked with the insulation cracking off of them. A blown fuse and stranding waiting to happen! I carefully swapped that one connector, crossed my fingers, and ordered a replacement harness kit from ECS Tuning. It only requires you to cut and re-terminate the 12 wires at the rear of the engine (in to a connector)--you just need a crimp tool that will make the "inverted M" sort of crimp. Ignition Wiring Replacement Harness

I'm sure ECS Tuning has at least one in stock. My A4 was rear-ended and totaled before I ever got the kit installed, so I returned it. The good news is the car ran until Insurance Auto Auctions carted it away.

Now I'm looking for another car, but that's different story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts