Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the disc brake pad replacement write-up, the Haynes manual states that we should replace the caliper mounting bolts when ever they are removed.

How many of you replaced these bolts when you did your brake job? Is it required, or just a lawsuit CYA comment? I could not locate this comment in my Bentley CD.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Gurft said:
Do yourself a favor, spend the $4 for new ones every time you replace your brakes.

This happens if you don't. One of our most technical members had to learn the hard way.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57212&highlight=
Actually the caliper mounting bolts that he's referring to are the 13mm ones for the rear (or at least they're the only ones specified by the bentley to be replaced). . . . they say you should replace them because they have locktite on them. you can get around this by just buying some locktite and putting them on the threads.

DZIGNER's issue was with the front brakes . . . .

Dave

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Gotcha, post above didn't mention it was the rears. At least it's a bump for DZIGNER's thread

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Gurft said:
Gotcha, post above didn't mention it was the rears. At least it's a bump for DZIGNER's thread
yea, dzigner's issue was a freak matter . . . still crazy . . . . i've used the bolts many times over after 4 brake jobs and they're still fine. I think he might have had a bad casting or whatnot.

Dave

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front Brakes:

Yes, I forgot to specify the front or rear brakes in my original post. The Chilton manual (sorry, the Haynes was for my old car) specifies replacing the “caliper mounting bolts” on models with LUCAS calipers on the front end. I could not locate a comment for other caliper types (Chilton) nor for any front caliper in my Bentley CD.

Rear Brakes:

The Chilton manual states “The caliper guide pin bolts must be replaced with new ones when they are unscrewed.” This comment does not specify a caliper model type/manufacturer, like the front brake section. The Bentley also calls for the replacement bolts, “Secure brake caliper housing with new self-locking bolts”.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just did my rears this weekend and didn't replace the bolts. I just cleaned them up good with a brass wire brush and applied some locktite. BTW you will have a very hard time finding these bolts seperately if they didn't come with your replacement pads. It looks like the dealer only sells these bolts with an entire guide pin kit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Anyone have a p/n for these bolts, or for the entire guide pin kit?

I was just reading about replacing these in the Bentley & Haynes write ups. I'd like to buy them all at once with the rotors & pads from ECS or other, but didn't see them listed on their site anywhere.

Thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Look at this thread: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79137

I ran into the same issue last month. Bolts come with the OEM pads, so they aren't normally stocked, you'll have to order them. Part # is listed in the thread linked here.
It's probably not a huge issue to re-use bolts, as long as the old bolts are cleaned well and you reapply loc-tite.

This info is for the REAR brakes only. Haven't dealt with the fronts yet.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
PNWdriver said:
Anyone have a p/n for these bolts, or for the entire guide pin kit?

I was just reading about replacing these in the Bentley & Haynes write ups. I'd like to buy them all at once with the rotors & pads from ECS or other, but didn't see them listed on their site anywhere.

Thanks!
It really isn't necessary to buy new bolts . . . the only reason why they want you to buy new bolts is that the locktite they put on is worn off after removing the bolt . . . just go buy a tube of blue loctite at your local hardware store and put it on the threads before you screw it in

Dave

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
One of the bolts, after many re-torques, gave on my front brake. I was stoping pull-force slam from about 90mph to 5mph and SNAP, it broke. I replace them now every time the calipers or carriers are pulled. Stretch-bolts are not supposed to be re-used. Cheap insurance.

Has anyone else seen how many bolts on the suspension assembly are called out by the Bentley as one-time use bolts? I was surpised.

Scott Schwartz

24 yrs. in the saddle

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
D ZIGNER said:
One of the bolts, after many re-torques, gave on my front brake. I was stoping pull-force slam from about 90mph to 5mph and SNAP, it broke. I replace them now every time the calipers or carriers are pulled. Stretch-bolts are not supposed to be re-used. Cheap insurance.

Has anyone else seen how many bolts on the suspension assembly are called out by the Bentley as one-time use bolts? I was surpised.

Scott Schwartz

24 yrs. in the saddle
i thought the suspension stuff was all one time use nuts, cause they are those locking nuts. i replaced the nuts for suspension install, never the bolts, or the brake caliper bolts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The rear bolts are only tightened to 30ft/lbs. I can't see how these would be stretch bolts? I was told by David Zeckhausen that I did not need to replace the bolts because the only reason you need to is because of the thread lock. Just clean them off best you can and reapply the thread lock. But if you really want to be safe just buy the new bolts if you can find them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.