Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Repairing a torn outer CV boot with a split CV boot?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PZ 
#1 ·
I have a leak in my passenger axle flange and while I have the axle off I figured I could tackle this split outer passenger CV boot. Though it's not making any noise now I imagine soon could be. Here's a pic:

I don't want to take apart the CV joint and I figured someone must have tried a split boot repair on these cars but when I search this forum for split cv boot I get a bunch of results for boots that have split as in old and torn so not what I was looking for.

I'm also considering trying one of those stretch boots with the cone since I'll have the axle off but the reviews on amazon are not great. Has anyone actually done a CV boot repair with a split boot or a stretchover? Which brand did you use and how long did it last? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Do it the right way and pop the joint off to thoroughly clean it. Then reinstall with a new boot and grease. Either way, you need to remove it from the car. Our cars are hard on boots. Those cheap split boots and stretch over boots won't last.

#4 ·
A lot of people had problems with the cheap aftermarket axles. At least on auto transmissions. I have them on my manual with only a little slop, but no vibrations under load like the autos tend to experience.

#6 ·
I can very well imagine that rebuilt axles cause issues. But I also think that you get what you pay for. The cheap axles may not be as a good idea but again if you are about to spend a fortune on OEM original axles then you may be better off to let a shop change the boots ($250 each boot).

#7 ·
What I meant is that all aftermarket axles (especially the $85 ones) are cheap. $250 a boot is pretty expensive. My local VAG shop (New German Performance) only charged me for an hr labor and the boot kit. $150 with tax, IIRC. On a lift, the axle can come out in about 5 mins. removing the joint, cleaning it out and reinstalling the boot another MAYBE 1/2hr and then 5-10 mins to reinstall on the car.

#10 ·
I've had at least a 20% vibration rate with new axles vs rebuilts. The solid shaft does not have the strength the hollow ones do. For my oldest son's 2001.5 Passat, it had the boots replaced sometime before we bought it with 57K and they failed again about 18 months ago (probably has 75K now). I bought new GKN outer CV joints and replaced them. They came with quality boots, clamps and grease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.