Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Passat and just noticed damage on my front end. It is almost underneath the car. I am not at all a "car person" so really ANY and ALL information would be so helpful.

A large piece of the black plastic on the lower left side has come off the front end. It is way too low to have been done by the other car. It has to have been done my a speed bump, rail road tracks, curb, etc.

Can anyone tell me any information on this? Even knowing what to refer to this as would be helpful while I'm on the phone with body shops trying to get estimates and such.

A little of the lower front is also a bit misaligned as a result of hitting the speed bump/tracks/curb too.

Does the entire front piece need to be replaced, is this expensive/time consuming?

Thank you!
Nicole

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You are in luck! Not only is that black plastic piece (actually called the "front spoiler) not very expensive (just over $100), you can replace it yourself! (For some reason, the black plastic pieces on the car aren't subject to the usual high VW parts prices.)

To do this:
1) Put your car up on ramps.
2) Remove the belly pan.
3) Remove the three plastic lower grills.
4) Along the sides, near the wheel well liners, the trim piece attaches to the bumper cover. To unhook the plastic thing, push the pins out of the center of the attachment point. This will let the expanded plastic tabs go inward and you can pull the two pieces apart.
5) Just start pulling the huge plastic thing off. It may take some tugging, but the plastic tabs that attach the top of the black plastic to the bumper cover will come out, maybe with some finessing.

Assembly is the reverse of removal.

SirWired

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
It shouldnt be hard to repair, and if a body shop has reasonable labor rates, (maybe even an independent shop can help) you can ask them to just swap the peices out for you. Order the part on your own from one of our sponsors and then take the car to a shop to have done. Shouldnt be more then say, 2 hours to replace?

Hope this helps, and welcome to ClubB5.

Steve

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
To do this:
1) Put your car up on ramps.
2) Remove the belly pan.
3) Remove the three plastic lower grills.
4) Along the sides, near the wheel well liners, the trim piece attaches to the bumper cover. To unhook the plastic thing, push the pins out of the center of the attachment point. This will let the expanded plastic tabs go inward and you can pull the two pieces apart.
5) Just start pulling the huge plastic thing off. It may take some tugging, but the plastic tabs that attach the top of the black plastic to the bumper cover will come out, maybe with some finessing.

Is this applicable to a B5 as well? I am doing mine this afternoon. Lost the battle witha 60 pound piece of retred from an 18 wheeler at 65.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.