Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a cheap set of Sach clutch kit from Ebay.
Would like to ask expert here that what is a reasonable labor cost to do this clutch from an independent repair shop?

Also what else should I replace while I am at it. all I have right now is the clutch disc pressure plate and the throw out bearing.

Thanks in advance

RL
99' 1.8t 5spd wagon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
110k and I bought the car at 90k from an auction. Carfax shown that Only one owner b/4 me. The car was in very good condition. I always complain that the clutch engage point is very high, Although a lots of members told me is normal that the engage point is high.
I just think that the clutch is original. I think I should change it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you should absolutely change it if it is engaging real high it is worn out.

Dont wait. I Just did one on a 1.8t this past weekend that the pressure plate was in three pieces. Very lucky he didnt loose a transmission. Had waited untill the car would barely drive anymore.

The only issue though is your ebay kit is missing the flywheel more than likely, since your car has a dual mass flywheel (the springs that are normally in the disc are in the flywheel it is basically two free floating peices) you should change the flywheel too if you re-use it and the springs break your gonna be doing a clutch again.

on average its about 8 to 10 hours labor. To bad your not in TX I only charge $350 :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the replies.

I checked couple of place. One at $550.00. one at $450.00.
That's expensive. How come NJ and texas is so much cheaper in labor. I am going with the the $450.00

In terms of flywheel, I am going to check the condition of the flywheels then decided what to do...... I don't know. it seems like the flywheel is do dame expensive.

RL

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
110k and I bought the car at 90k from an auction. Carfax shown that Only one owner b/4 me. The car was in very good condition. I always complain that the clutch engage point is very high, Although a lots of members told me is normal that the engage point is high.
I just think that the clutch is original. I think I should change it.
NO....and DON'T

It's a major maintnance item. Until it's broke don't fix it.

Heck with my last passat I had 135k miles (55k with K04 240hp)....and it was only slipping on VERY hot days after 5-10 min of driving really hard. There was a guiy here with over 200k on original clutch so....

Once it slips to a point where you can't go....that would be the time IMO. If anything change the tranny fluid (which I haven't done either ) :)

Would've made it to 200k if I wanted too.

If you want to do "preventative" work on this car...you will have a LONG list and an empty bank account.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
NO....and DON'T

Heck with my last passat I had 135k miles (55k with K04 240hp)....and it was only slipping on VERY hot days after 5-10 min of driving really hard. There was a guiy here with over 200k on original clutch so....

Once it slips to a point where you can't go....that would be the time IMO. If anything change the tranny fluid (which I haven't done either ) :)

If you want to do "preventative" work on this car...you will have a LONG list and an empty bank account.
Only probelm is if you wait to long you chance ruining the flywheel, which are 500+ for a new one. Seems worth it to change.

450 doesn't seem bad, it has to be a day of labor(8) hours since you have ot remove both axles, part of the exhaust. Figure 50-100 an hour for labor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
NO....and DON'T

Uh OK?

When it starts engaging real high it is getting close to the point when it will start slipping the last 4 guys i warned ignored it and 2 of them ended up flatbedding the car to me 3 weeks later :) One of which was lucky he didnt loose the bellhousing on his tranny. True you can wait till it starts actually slipping no issues there if your tight on cash and need time to save up. But if its already getting close why wait till you destroy other more expensive items. Or end up stranded. That makes 0 sense to me.

Not that 200k cant be done if you arent slipping the clutch much but on average B5 clutches whether 1.8t or V6 usually are toast between 85K and 145k. Hell the one I just did only had 80k and the pressure plate was something to keep as a trophy :lol:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Well, "engaging high" is something most people notice about these cars right away and is perfectly normal. If it has changed, maybe it's a cause for concern but my new clutch engaged just as high as the bad one I replaced. The slipping is the sign I waited for, and there are many threads on how to test for that. As mentioned above, "preventative" replacement of something like the clutch is silly unless you have a good reason to have the trans out of the car already AND it has high miles. Otherwise, wait for the slip, first and usually noticeable in 5th gear under boost. Mine slipped in 5th, then 4th and when I noticed it starting to slip in 3rd I changed it. Note that my car was chipped, and switching to the stock computer eliminated the slipping for awhile and bought me some time.

I'd say under $500 is not too bad for labor, it is not a fun or easy job, expect a shop to quote 9-10 hours, maybe more. It took me 15 but I could do it again in 10-11 now that I've done one. If the clutch is truly bad, be prepared to replace the flywheel as they are difficult to resurface and some places just assume it can't be done.

-Cody

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Uh OK?

When it starts engaging real high it is getting close to the point when it will start slipping the last 4 guys i warned ignored it and 2 of them ended up flatbedding the car to me 3 weeks later :) One of which was lucky he didnt loose the bellhousing on his tranny. True you can wait till it starts actually slipping no issues there if your tight on cash and need time to save up. But if its already getting close why wait till you destroy other more expensive items. Or end up stranded. That makes 0 sense to me.
My clutch has been engaging high since about 40-50k miles.......it's normal.

As far as your 4 people you warned.......abuse is THE only explanation.

Usually there is a LOT of clutch left even after it starts slipping. Again my clutch on 135k car was slipping on hot days after hard driving.

It has NEVER slipped in 5th under boost (which is usually the first sign).

Pick and choose.......I tend to look at the clutch and tranny as a one time deal. You buy and use it forever/life of the car.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
537 Posts
I guess it depends where you live also. Live somewhere hilly with a lot of hill starts etc. then you clutch could well get more worn. I think the tranny should ideally last the life of the car but not necessarily the clutch. Knackered tranny is more sign of abuse than knackered clutch for me

My biting point was pretty high when I bought the car at 130K. Sure enough clutch started slipping 10K later and gradually got worse

·
Registered
952 Posts
Replace as much of the parts as you can while they're in there. You don't want them to do 2 clutch jobs cause a throw-out or slave cylinder broke after you changed the pressure plate... If your installer will let you, provide your own parts. Start stocking up on them and spread the cost while your clutch is still working. It's probably safer than to wait until doomsday and but it all at once. If the slipping is bad, I'd be afraid of how far i drove it away from the mechanic (wouldn't wanna be on a road trip 1000 miles from a known mechanic and have to have dumbo joe from nowheresville rape you on install charges)

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
germanautoparts and ecstuning are both good.

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Start stocking up on them and spread the cost while your clutch is still working.
This sounds like the ultimate recipe for wasting money. Seriously, you should not start buying parts (or anything else in fact) of which you don't know if you'll ever need them.
If you need to spread the cost (good idea), go ahead and open a dedicated account to save in, but don't go out just buying (clutch) parts.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
^ You are 100% spot on with that answer. The only exception to this rule IMO is small things such as oil, coil packs, etc. If you see a super deal, jump on it.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
^ You are 100% spot on with that answer. The only exception to this rule IMO is small things such as oil, coil packs, etc. If you see a super deal, jump on it.
x1 bazillion.

"Hi, I bought a pressure plate from you and it failed in the first week. When did I buy it? Uh...3 years ago. Yes, it was installed last week. What do you mean the warranty is over?!"

I've got an extra coolant temp sensor, some extra oil filters, stuff like that. But don't stockpile the important and expensive things.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts