Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone I know clipped my car while pulling out of a space today... it isn't that deep, probably about 1 mm or so. I don't know if the damage can be removed using compound and a little work, or if it needs to be painted. Any advice? I don't want to make him pay for an expensive paint job if I can just buff it out. I don't think touchup would work, as the upper gash is about 5 inches in length, the lower one is probably 2.5-3 inches.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ouch! :cry: At least you know who did it! Maybe just paint it with touch up paint until you get rear ended by some other moron :lol:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leadfoot said:
Ouch! :cry: At least you know who did it! Maybe just paint it with touch up paint until you get rear ended by some other moron :lol:
No... I want to fix it, but I really don't know whether or not the damage can be buffed out. I figured maybe you guys would have some ideas. The person who hit it is a friend, so I don't want to gouge him too badly. He actually told me that he didn't do it... I then offered to let the police sort it out as a hit and run, and he started paying attention. Grrr... I asked him not to park as close as he did, but for some reason he feels the need to parallel park with only a foot in between our cars. Its not even really parallel parking, as he can just pull off the road and slide in behind me (nobody was behind where he was parked at the time). Some of the kids at our school leave 10 feet in between cars (just enough so you can't park there, but if 20 people do it on a street, you are parked another two hundred feet up, which sucks. He kinda took the opposite end, leaving too LITTLE space. I hate when people won't fess up to stuff like this :cry:. I even felt the friggin hit. I was wondering what in the hell it was, cause I was in park, with my foot on the brake, and the parking brake pulled, and I felt my car nudge forward as he pulled out.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Your paint is only a few thousandths of an inch deep. A 1mm scratch is going to require a new coat of paint on your bumper. (Metallic paint is VERY hard to blend)There is no cheap way to get that done. Tell your friend it is going to be insurance time.

SirWired

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
it may help if we could have a better picture. I can't even tell what part of the car that is.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am an estimator at body shop and i Hate to tell you but you are looking at at least a 500 plus for a repair job. That is being concervitive! If you live in nor-cal hit me up !!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seanboy88 said:
I am an estimator at body shop and i Hate to tell you but you are looking at at least a 500 plus for a repair job. That is being concervitive! If you live in nor-cal hit me up !!!!! :thumbup:
I agree. You would have to fill the scratch and repaint the bumper. $500 or so seems appropriate.

Really, I would go the touch-up route. Even though the friend is a schmuck, he's still a friend. No reason to go for perfection. You'll have enough scratches soon enough.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ohhh, bummer that a friend hit your car. I have had past experiences and even though I tried to be nice and cool about the scenerio, they took advantage of the situation, making me have to get firm; which made the friendship bad. I wish you luck with this. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
glxpassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing