Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Removing swirl marks?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RAH 
#1 ·
I have a 99 1.8t manual. It is metalic black. I bought it used a few months ago with 60k on it. The paint is excellent except for some minor swirl marks in the clearcoat. It is very noticeable when the car is sitting in the sun. It looks like a crappy wax job. I was wondering what the best diy way is to remove these swirl marks. Thanks.

#3 ·
Here you go Inferno ..

Porter Cable ( or a Simoniz Cordless Orbital if you can't afford the PC)

a) Menzerna Intensive polish where needed.
b) Menzerna final polish all over till happy
c) wax/ sealant of choise ( in this case Zaino )

End result with a little work.

#7 ·
Another option is to use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Ask the shop guy how to apply it based on your area. If you apply it wrong you can get a "hazed" appearance but on a black car if you apply it right you can see eternity through the paint!!

JUST MY .02
8)
Kanon

#9 ·
i'll give you the cheap way if money is tight (one of the best ways is describe by jesstzn). The 3M products for buffing, cutting and polish are really good as well and cheaper to start with. You can also apply them by hand if you do not have a buffer. If the swirls are in the clear coat, you can use the 3M cut , the one which is clear coat safe and apply as directed of course. Once you are done, you can apply the swirl remover on it as well, after the cut (by the way, when i say cut, i mean cleaner wax or rubbing compound as long as it is the CLEAR COAT safe 1, if the swirl are heavy, the rubbing if they are not, the cleaner wax). If you want the perfect finish and the lasting one, you need to apply a coat of polish and hard shell wax after that as well. It is a lot of work but the result makes it all worth it :lol: . You also need to NOT put it thru car washes....ever :mad: :lol: . Just hand washed in cool water, keep your mitt nice and clean, never dish soap and dry the car every time. Good luck.....RAH. :b5: :thumbup:

#11 ·
Thank you SOLDJA BOI, your advise was great as well mate, the 3M glaze is a great product and it was good of you to warn about the "hazing" so, a lot of people ends up with it and espacially fustrated once it appears. later.............Rah.

#13 ·
chucchinchilla said:
we keep getting the 3M waxes from a guy who owns a body shop, but where can you buy those products (store wise)?
You can get 3M products from anywhere that sells paint products. At least thats true around here in Washington. Check your yellow pages and call around. :thumbup:

#14 ·
3M

You can get 3M products usually in all car paint shops, also at PEP BOYS if you have any around you at all. I get them at a Auto shop called Canyon auto paint, but they are only local. Try the 3M website for sales location as well. Good luck with that............RAH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.