Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody out there been able to remove the side marker lights and surrounding trim on the front bumper without taking off the whole bumper assembly? I have received some excellent tips on doing it with the bumper off, but I would like to try it with the bumper in place if at all possible. If it makes any difference, i do have a ramp to drive my car onto so I can stand upright under the car.

I know it seems to be a very popular mod to remove the marker lights and install a solid trim piece, so I figre there must be a lot of you out there who have done this.

Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

SL

2001 b5.5

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somebody out there has to have an answer to this. I plan to work on it this weekend if I can.

All I need to know is this:
is it possible in the first place?
if so, do I take the trim off from the outside, or do I do it from underneath or a combination of both?

THANKS
SL 8)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The bodyshop removed my bumper trim pieces to paint them - he didn't say HOW he removed them, but he did say that it was a PITA. Sorry this isn't too helpful, but if you can't do it very easily with the bumper in place, you'll probably have much better access with the bumper removed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mdtoney

thanks for your input. since all i need to paint is the trim pieces, i would prefer to just take them off rather than the whole bumper, but it seems that taking the whole front bumper off is the way to go. i was just hoping that there was an easier way. one guy said he and a friend took off a bumper and replaced it with a friend in 3 hours, but I think he knew what he was doing more than what I would.

we'll see

thanks again
SL :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts