Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to remove the reflectors and paint them balck and then reinstall.
Anyone willing to give instructions?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
what "reflectors?"

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You need those to be street legal.

You could get them smoked, perhaps, but I would not disable them. Those lamps are there for your safety and the safety of others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The red and yellow ones? The two in the front and two in back? Those you need to be street legal? I saw that alot of people did away with the....

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Yes, you need those to be street legal. You think the manufacturers put those on because they feel like it? Just because you've seen others do away with them doesn't mean it isn't illegal to do so.

FMVSS 108 dictates that all vehicles sold for use on public roads in the US must have side markers "On each side--1 red as far to the rear as practicable, and 1 amber as far to the front as practicable"

Local laws tend to follow the requirements of FMVSS 108, generally.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
I have a set of smoked side markers, and the amber and red light is visible when they are on.

Always passed inspection, no problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
slide a screwdriver (with electrical tape on the end) in between the bumper cover and the light, slide the light over carefully and pop it out.

or if you have one of those fancy plastic interior tools use that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
slide a screwdriver (with electrical tape on the end) in between the bumper cover and the light, slide the light over carefully and pop it out.

or if you have one of those fancy plastic interior tools use that.
push one side in 1st....;)

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I did mine with Night Shades .. 2 coats and when lit at night they still show red/amber ... unless the statute says they can't be modified they still meet it because they are luminated red & amber.

And if you look at the ones in the pix below you will see they are not yellow but luminate yellow and they are factory stock and meet requirements.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I did mine with Night Shades .. 2 coats and when lit at night they still show red/amber ... unless the statute says they can't be modified they still meet it because they are luminated red & amber.
If you want to get picky, FMVSS108 also dictates that the side markers must be reflective as well as illuminated. I'm not going to tell you that the local authorities wouldn't enforce the relevant local regulations, but... I think the odds are slim that they would.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts