Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing PASSAT/V6 off the trunk?

I want to remove the lettering off the back of the trunk. But i have herd that if you do this you have to get your trunk repainted? Is this true? If not how can i take them off by myself?

-Digital

·
Registered
331 Posts
No repainting if you do it right.
Here's how I did it just the other night. I used dental floss to cut the 3M tape behind the letters. Then I used Goo Gone on the leftover adhesive...let it set in for a few minutes and used my thumb nail to get off the rest. Followed by a liberal buffing with Zymol. Looks great!
Good luck!
Michael

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Just be very careful when taking off the adhesive. If your car is a dark color you may scratch the paint with your fingernail. Soak the adhesive with the suggested Goo-Gone ( I used WD-40) and rub it with the flat of your thumb. You may want to wipe the area down with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils when your done then polish it out a bit with Scratch-X etc then rewax.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Nope, no holes behind there either. But there is a circle indentation that needs to be filled in. It wouldnt look right if you left it unfilled, itd look like someone stole your badge. Haha

·
Registered
342 Posts
O22Ripper said:
Nope, no holes behind there either. But there is a circle indentation that needs to be filled in. It wouldnt look right if you left it unfilled, itd look like someone stole your badge. Haha
While we are talking about rear badging....anyone remove the silver VW trunk logo & install a black one?? And where is the best place to find one? Maybe Cullen? or just paint another silver one? Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
theosan said:
2000PASSAT20V said:
theosan said:
So, there are no holes behind the badge?
No holes like the old Mk1 & Mk2's ..... just stick-on letters.
What about the VW logo? Can that come of too, with no holes behind it?

Thanks.
I've never tried it, but I would think that there may be holes on that one.

I've found that Fishing line works better than dental floss and doesn't break as often. Just use a gentle pressure and a back and forth "sawing" motion and that should do it. Ronsonol ligher fluid (naptha) can be usd in place of goo gone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
theosan said:
2000PASSAT20V said:
theosan said:
So, there are no holes behind the badge?
No holes like the old Mk1 & Mk2's ..... just stick-on letters.
What about the VW logo? Can that come of too, with no holes behind it?

Thanks.
I think there are 2 holes behind the trunk VW logo...I thought someone posted a pic when they shaved the decklid (cant find it on a search though) Anyone know for sure??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts