Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I have a 98' 1.8t GLS and I'm going to remove my resonator tomorrow (finally gonna get rid of that 40 pound beast) I did search but didnt find anything really THAT helpful. I'm just looking for a few tips? Any help is appreciated. :salute:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey everyone!
I have a 98' 1.8t GLS and I'm going to remove my resonator tomorrow (finally gonna get rid of that 40 pound beast) I did search but didnt find anything really THAT helpful. I'm just looking for a few tips? Any help is appreciated. :salute:

What do you need tips on? Removing the resonator, selecting a new resonator, not running a resonator, ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I guess the question was pretty broad. Im looking for tips on what a should do? Im thinking about not running one at all. Any help with the pros and cons?
Sorry about the confusion, im kinda new at this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was curious about this too. On my 2001 Jetta 1.8t I had replaced the resonator with a straight pipe, it sounded slightly different, but nothing impressive... it was when I put on the 3" GHL TB was when it sounded beautiful...

The B5 resonator is quite larger than the MKIV resonator, and the B5 muffler is quite smaller than the MKIV muffler... so I have no Idea what would sound like...

·
Registered
567 Posts
i had mine removed and replaced with a generic resonator
there is a slight drone at about 2800 RPM but nothing too bothersome

it seems to be the general concensus that if you straightpipe it there will be too much of a drone so i would suggest installing a resonator
(i believe most people suggest a 18 inch unit)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
take lots of pics I'll put it up on the writeup wiki

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
22" Thrush from summitracing. cheap and effective. Without a resonator of some sort, you will get some crazy droning.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
For the 'ideas'. My video shows the sounds of the Stock. stock with out the res, and stock pipes with a magnaflow.

The trick I have found with the drone, get the pipe OUT of the bumper. My drone is gone from the cabin. The only time i hear anything 'loudish' is when the window is open.

Personally. If I would have done it again, I would have saved for a full 2.5" turbo back system.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ive had my resonator removed and havent noticed the drone that some have. You'll notice better response from your engine but dont expect too much in the way of a sound difference. For that you'll have to replace the muffler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts