Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently cracked my tranny pan and had it welded, along with an extra piece of metal to protect it further. I bought 6 quarts of the VW stuff, a new gasket, and a new filter. Filter installed fine (although I think I overtightened the bolts...) and I put the magnets back in randomly (is this ok? some are on the "walls"). However, I cant for the life of me get the damn fill plug to come out (same with the drain plug). I have a nice 17mm allen socket connected to a large ractchet, and Ive tried everything from extending the length of the rachet/lever with clip pliers to smacking it repeatedly with a rubber mallet. The thing will just NOT budge.....

Help?!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm just waiting for rmdevo to show up and tell you to grow a pair.:whistle:

Do you have the pan back on the car, or still off?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,133 Posts
Do I read correctly that both plugs were in the pan while it was being welded, and that both are now stuck? Uh, oh - I think you see where I'm headed with this. If it was me, I'd take the pan back to the guy who did the welding.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
Mine is always very tough to get out. You need a long breaker bar to get that sucker loose. I would check to see about what scott13 said.....THAT would suck if it got welded in.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,133 Posts
Actually welded in, probably not. But if the pan was heated enough to not only repair it but to weld on a reinforcing plate, it could well be sufficiently warped those bolts will never come out. Without causing further damage, that is.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,868 Posts
Actually welded in, probably not. But if the pan was heated enough to not only repair it but to weld on a reinforcing plate, it could well be sufficiently warped those bolts will never come out. Without causing further damage, that is.
That's what I am thinking too. Warpage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts