Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's been asked a million times and it's super simple, but how do I remove the A-Pillar trim in my 98? I want to install a boost gauge but I don't want to just pull on the trim as I've already had some carpet come off on it's own. I thought I remember reading somewhere that you had to slide it up and then out toward you, but I don't remember if that was for a B5 or a 5.5. I hope someone can help so I can get this done before the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
if u get a good grip on it, pull it up towards the roof, try to slide it up. if that doesnt work or it is too hard for your hands to get a grip just pullit off, the clips should not break but if they do i am not rsponsible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a '99 B5. This past summer I took the entire interior out of to replace the carpet and CCM...another story....but....to remove the upper A pillar interior trim:

1. it is held on by 4 clips to the stamped sheet metal pillar
2. start with the upper edge that overlaps the head liner - pull in inward, away from the pillar. A flat tool, like a putty knife, can help.
3. after the first 'pop', which is the upper spring clip, work your hand beneath the trim and slide it down toward where the next spot of resistance is - that's the next clip
4. gently pull inward, away from the pillar
5. continue working your way down until all 4 clips have popped, and just the bottom edge is wedged behind the side of the upper dashboard
6. pull the trim up and back; it comes right out, easily
7. to install go in reverse order

Good luck with removal, and the install of the gauge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts