Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among other things, I finished pulling the top off the Rabbit today. About a 3 hour job, total. Probably less the second time, maybe 1.5 hours.

The top with frame must weight close to 80 pounds. I'll start cleaning her out tomorrow, and then start the install this week. I'm going to put this frame away for a while, I will clean it, de-skin it, and fix it up for a new top some time in the future.

I am one top and one crank pulley away from ice cream! :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Good job, looks like it's coming along.
Looks like the body's in good shape and the top should fit back on nice and tight.
It's a great classic convertible. :thumbup:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I have a JINJUR plate. I had a FAC 63 plate for the Passat in GA. I couldn't get it in MI. :( If you're going to name your car, may was well plate it, too. Steven's TDi is GRMNENG.

I scrubbed out the boot today, found a few more rust spots, but not anything serious. I'm going to see if I can grind out some of it, then treat the edges with some Alodine (rust treament for metal edges from work). That way, it will be ready to weld in new patches next summer when I swap tops again.

A friend pointed out that this car might be quite a challenge to drive without the rear weight. If I can get my crank pulley this week, I might try it out. With my lousy tires, I will be the drift princess. Rabbit GTis must oversteer like crazy.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
nice rabbit, i'd kill for one :bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts