Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my CD changer but need to get the 6-CD cartridge out. Is there a way to do that when no power is going to the unit? I replaced the radio up front, and it doesn't have an interface for the changer anyway. Really just want to get the CDs out if possible.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,217 Posts
Post a picture of the front of the changer with the cover open and also a pic of the plug in the car that plugged into the changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good luck, I tried all the tricks I could think of to do this in salvage yard vehicles and was not successful.
Even though you no longer have the stock head unit, the wiring to the changer should still be there. Why not plug it in and see what happens?

·
Registered
28,226 Posts
Find a Passat owner close to you with a stock radio. If you are near Dallas, I can help. Where are you?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,217 Posts
You have a ‘98 B5, correct?

If so, you should have a premium II, IV, or V head unit with three connector sections. Yellow, Blue, and Green.

On the connector in the trunk, you should have a red 10-pin connector. You want to look for the larger red wire (12v+ pin 6), smaller red wire (cd changer turn on signal pin 8), and the larger brown wire (ground pin 3)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a ‘98 B5, correct?

If so, you should have a premium II, IV, or V head unit with three connector sections. Yellow, Blue, and Green.

On the connector in the trunk, you should have a red 10-pin connector. You want to look for the larger red wire (12v+ pin 6), smaller red wire (cd changer turn on signal pin 8), and the larger brown wire (ground pin 3)
In looking at the connecter on the Changer itself, it's a 12 pin, and the colors you quote above don't match. Do you have access to a different pin-out? I think if I had that, I could just use a couple alligator clips and push the button.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey folks, thanks for all the replies I got! In short, I got it out! Even though the head unit was out, I decided to just bite the bullet, and temporarily put it back in. I actually didn't think it would power up as the connections for the "new" radio were different, but it worked!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,217 Posts
Damn. Almost had it. Oh well.

Reactions: spamgnome
1 - 10 of 10 Posts