Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to remove amber in headlight housing for 03 passat gls ... i dont like amber and want to mod the colors to be all red and white ... has anyone successfully rid their ride of amber ... i know this may be illegal but i would be willing to accept the consequences ... IF THEY CAN CATCH ME:)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
skwazoo said:
is it possible to remove amber in headlight housing for 03 passat gls ... i dont like amber and want to mod the colors to be all red and white ... has anyone successfully rid their ride of amber ... i know this may be illegal but i would be willing to accept the consequences ... IF THEY CAN CATCH ME:)
I suggest using doppler lenses. they can very effectively change your colors. but do you REALLY have the speed it takes to make them work??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doppler lenses????

what are doppler lenses ... i never heard of them ... i want the housing i have ... just not the ugly amber inside .. . its painted on the interior in the back

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
linux-works said:
I suggest using doppler lenses. they can very effectively change your colors. but do you REALLY have the speed it takes to make them work??
LOL..... be nice!....

Why don't you just get a clear bulb or LED replacement part in any color of your choice?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
linux-works said:
:lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seriously

what are doppler lenses ... never heard of them ... as far as the bulb goes, well that is another wonderful VW POS that they installed, you can change the bulb, but in the rear part of the light their is a reflective amber so i dont really know how to get aorund this...any thoughts.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Re: seriously

skwazoo said:
what are doppler lenses ... never heard of them ... as far as the bulb goes, well that is another wonderful VW POS that they installed, you can change the bulb, but in the rear part of the light their is a reflective amber so i dont really know how to get aorund this...any thoughts.
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/doppler.htm

Code:
      lambda(observed)
1+z = ----------------
      lambda(emitted)

which is

397   401   414   438   491   523   595   663
1+z = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = --- = 1.01
      393   397   410   434   486   518   589   656
but, as you can see, only z-cars will work with this arrangement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info

so what would an example of these lights be ... pics???? ... what type of cars have them? that is what i really meant by what they are? but thanks for the science lesson ... actually i recogonize from astronomy class ... weird coinsedence

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
linux-works said:
Bryan- Don't forget, those doppler lenses are a tight fit, you'll never get them in without using some elbow grease. Fortunately, I've got half a can on the shelf in my garage if you want to borrow it! :lol: BTW, quit :poke:-ing the noob!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
okok enuff of :poke: ing the noob.

You can use chrome blubs that don't show any amber at all when unlit. They do light up amber though so that keeps you on the legit side of the law.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
DaddyMatt said:
linux-works said:
Bryan- Don't forget, those doppler lenses are a tight fit, you'll never get them in without using some elbow grease. Fortunately, I've got half a can on the shelf in my garage if you want to borrow it! :lol: BTW, quit :poke:-ing the noob!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts