Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the Air Bag warning stickers found on the visors? They appear to be "melted" to the visor and are ugg-i-leee!
:???:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Get some isopropyl (NOT rubbing) alcohol and wet a clean cloth or paper towel. Dab it onto the stickers (yes, they are stickers :) ) keeping them wet but not dripping for about 2 min. At that point you should be able to get a corner up with your thumb nail and slowly peel the stickers off. Clean the whole area with alcohol. You'll still see an impression of where the sticker was for a few days, but that will fade.

HTH, Peace

·
Registered
612 Posts
Goof off also works. Just put a little on a paper towel, blot the sticker and in a few minutes, the sticker will start to bubble. Keeping the sticker moist and waiting for the chemical to work really works the best.

If you rub too hard, the fabric will strech out, but as soon as the car warms up, and the goof off dries up the plasticy fabric will retract.

Under certain light/ angles you can still see the outline of the sticker, but its barely noticeable. Its way better then seeing "WARNING" all over you car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, goof-off works, but not as good as isopropyl alcohol (meaning 98% alcohol).
Just dab it on for a couple of minutes, and then try to peel it off. it's some sort of plastic sticker that has been ironed on.
With goof-off, do not try to rub from sticker to sun-visor. Especially the red areas. Don't ask me why I tell you :mad:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Took mine off tonight with cheapo rubbing alcohol (92% isopropyl) and it worked great. Left a little sticky goo behind which came right off when I wiped it with an alcohol soaked cotton boll.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My film never faded off - so I grabbed some paint thinner, and that did the trick....I was sick of lookin at it though, paint thinner is not the best thing to use! hehe....but the film came off after being there for a year!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Okay, must have been looking through beer goggles when I thought the rubbing alcohol had stripped the film off all the way. It didn't. Goo Gone finished the job today, and then I went over that with some diluted Simple Green.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine are off and it looks great. Thanks for the advice. It's obvious VW doesn't want you to take'em off!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yesterday I took them off my wife's Mustang (fabric covered visors) with 99% isopropyl alcohol. The first one was more difficult, since I didn't know what to expect. 2nd one was much better. It does work! The thing is that if it's a sticker, it's a REALLY thin one. But it does peel off. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
leadfoot said:
Mine are off and it looks great. Thanks for the advice. It's obvious VW doesn't want you to take'em off!
I think it's the law that they be there, and if someone in your passenger seat gets hit with the airbag after you take that sticker off they can sue you :mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
leadfoot said:
Does anyone know how to remove the Air Bag warning stickers found on the visors? They appear to be "melted" to the visor and are ugg-i-leee!
:???:

Thanks.
:evil: Yeahhh remove the sticker and the airbags yeahhh :evil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts