Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had three attempts to stop the water from entering the cabin through corrosion-caused holes at the base of the windshield, including sealants, adding panels over the holes, etc. and after each time my control module was still getting wet and causing a rough idle, erratic gear indicator light, check engine light and emissions workshop warning.

My mechanic and I decided to relocate the control module. See below. My mechanic also drilled new drain holes underneath to help divert the water, and we'll clear them of debris at each oil change. If water is still getting under the carpet I'll eventually need to worry about mold and corrosion, but I plan to keep this car for only about two more years, but I always say that and here we are 22 years later :) She's a good car, rust is coming through in many places (even though I Krown Coat annually), the a/c is strong, suspension and exhaust is good, doesn't burn oil and the turbo still pulls.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice work! Probably should have been located there from the factory.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice work! Probably should have been located there from the factory.
My thoughts exactly. The Germans can make excellent cars like our B5s, but they also like to overcomplicate things.

It will be interesting if I now see water dripping into the footwell from the relocated control box beneath the glove box. At this I'll be able to see it happening.

Of course I’m still worried about the module under the driver’s seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts