Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing a different SMIC, but the new IC does not have a port for the MAP sensor. Does anyone have advice on tapping the IC to add a port for the sensor?

I'm also considering relocating the sensor to a vac line coming off the manifold, but I'm concerned that putting the MAP on the other side of the throttle plate will have some adverse affects. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mac!

Don't know, really. Tapping the cross tube puts the sensor in front of the ic - not a problem? Bung welded on - got a pic? I'm not sure what i'm in for here...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
In front of the IC shouldn't be a big deal. After the TB could cause some odd behavior. Not sure what you're asking for a pic of. A bung is just a little threaded fitting welded on to something so you can screw something into it (like the fitting an O2 sensor screws into). I don't know how thick that pipe is, it might not have enough material to tap and then you'd need to consider welding a bung.

If you're worried about having it in front of the IC, tapping the IC shouldn't be too big a deal, or having a good shop weld a bung onto the end tank.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Wasn't sure what a bung was - that clears it up. I think I'd prefer to tap the IC instead of the cross pipe - that way I only have one one part to mess around with, and I can still switch back to stock if things go badly.

Does the MAP sensor have to be directly in the path of the airflow, or could I "stub-out" about 3" to 6" of ~1/2" diam hose from the IC to a fitting for the MAP sensor? (In other words, is air velocity at the sensor an issue?)

One other thing -- my "new" IC is still VW OEM. (It's HermanH's old SMIC). That means it has the plastic end-caps. Would drilling a hole in the plastic be a bad idea?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
ya, don't drill the plastic end caps. :) I assumed you were going to an RS4 or aftermarket unit.. I don't believe the sensor needs to be in airflow.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
The RaceTech FMIC included a welded on Bung for the MAP but my AEB motor doesn't use it. I PM'd you on my thoughts but in a nutshell, buy a short 4" piece of 2" diameter aluminum tube (JC Whitney??) with hose clamp "bulges" on both ends, then contact either RaceTech or Supreme PowerParts and see if you can get them to sell you "just" the MAP bung. It's nothing more than a 3/4" round alum. tube with a flat flange welded on top, with two tapped holes for mounting the MAP.

Once you've got that, you'd have to weld on the bung to the tube. Drill out the tube where the bung is welded onto, then but your s-hose between the throttle body and SMIC and insert your tube w/bung in there. Don't forget two hose clamps to complete it. That's probably what I would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
HermanH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing