Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Reliable USB->Serial adapter for Vag-Com KEY-COM (serial) cable?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  VAGguy 
#1 ·
I did some searching and perhaps this topic has been beat to death, but I did not come up with a definite answer.

I'm approaching the need to retire some technology. Some computers are being kept simply because they have a serial port on the back for accessories like my Vag-Com cable (an ancient garage PC and even older laptop). My 2010 laptop and a 2007 desktop (given to me) do not have the ports and can't be added. Sitting in my office this evening, I'm realizing it is a little silly to have all of this electronic clutter sitting around for only 1 use, that is infrequent.

Has anyone come up with a reliable serial->USB adapter with Vag-Com? Or is my best bet to spend the $160 and use the Ross-Tech Upgrade Program to get a new USB dongle?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You can buy a serial port card that goes into your laptop. There's usually a spot on the side of the laptop that has a plastic blank in it that it goes into. I have one I use at work, not sure what brand. Also I think there are plenty of reliable USB to serial converters but i'd go with the serial port card.

#4 ·
The dynex one that best buy sells, works. Just gotta mess with port assignments maybe. At least on my 9 y/o laptop you do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.