Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting about 4/27 only sometimes it seemed to need just a little bit more hold of the key before firing. That was Monday. By Wednesday I had a no start with a few attempts of key turn and it finally fired on and was fine. Thursday was the same but much worse. It had me pulling and checking/re seating as many fuses as I could reach. Opened the hood, pushed at the wiring connectors that I could reach. Closed the hood, went in and it started up. Got home, shut it off. No restart. And there it sits.
All through this, once it started, everything was fine. No error codes.

I've got VCDS. I'm sure it will give me readings on the various components in the system connected to the computers. I'm going to be checking on it tomorrow.

At this moment I'm thinking crank position sensor is good to check first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not the crank position sensor. In VCDS I get just over 100 rpm trying to start the engine.

Next most likely culprit that I understand won't register a fault code is fuel pump and it's relay.

And the tank is nearly full. Yay!

·
Registered
27,235 Posts
The W8 has a fuel controller, unlike the standard pump/relay setup on other Passats from what I have heard. I would start with a mechanical test of the fuel pressure under the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the primary pump. Parts and tools on the way.

Found the fuel pump relay. With a multi-meter attached to the pump electrical connector, driver door open and plugging the relay in with no pressure in the lines it registers 12.3 volts for a few seconds. Then I directly applied 12 volts to the pump and there was no activity. Reversing it did nothing as well.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,302 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New fuel pump.

So upon reflection, the week leading up to total failure:
Very minor power loss (occasional tugging feel)
Starting took more time (each time longer than the previous)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts