Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the car has a 16.4 gallon tank... right...?

So my refuel light comes on and i ran about another 30 miles after... all the way down to where my "miles to go" read about 10... So i fill up, but the car only takes about 13.5 gallons...?

this has happened both times i refueled... there's no way that the reserve can still have 3 gallons in it...?

when i fill it up, the needle goes all the way to full...

what gives...?

and after i filled my "miles to go" read 365... i assume this number is dependent on your current MPG...?

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
i never trusted the fuel calculator....

no that my rolling diameter with my 17's is over an inch longer....
i know they are all wrong

i just always fill up on the same time's every week, maybe you'll get into a rhythm as well

for me it's time to fill up every:
sunday
tuesday
thursday

:cry:

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
hmmm, could be faulty....like i said i don't pay much mind to mine

you did go to from 15's to 18's though....it may have something to do with it.....i could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
IIRC, it's bad to run our fuel tanks dry. Can't remember exactly why (other than the whole stranded on the side of the road thing).

Miles to go is dependent on recent driving habits... last few minutes or so. Fill up then drive like grandma for 5 mins. -- your MTG will jump into the high 400's.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
was the fuel gauge it's self ALL the way down, with ''re-fule now'' and flashing light?

or just the fuel calculator thingamagie telling you that the tank is low.

edit: what rich p said :p

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That's just it... it "protects" you by crying empty before you're doing damage to the fuel system.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hate instrumentation that is deliberately wrong, it's worse than useless. I refuel every other day for my 130 mile per day commute.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've driven 80 miles or so after the light comes on. Filled her up with abour 15.5 gallons that time! Close one. I have run her out of gas once though a mile from the station I go to. :) The guage is not to be trusted 100%. When I stupidly ran out of gas the guage needle was higher than I have drove it before so I thought I had some buffer. Nope.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
geordie said:
I hate instrumentation that is deliberately wrong, it's worse than useless. I refuel every other day for my 130 mile per day commute.
The instrumentation is not deliberately "wrong" if it is designed to issue a warning when you have 4 gals. left. Would you rather get the warning when you have 1qt or no fuel left? :crazy: Wouldn't need a light at that point because you would know you are out of gas when your car quits.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
pete1 said:
IIRC, it's bad to run our fuel tanks dry. Can't remember exactly why (other than the whole stranded on the side of the road thing).

Miles to go is dependent on recent driving habits... last few minutes or so. Fill up then drive like grandma for 5 mins. -- your MTG will jump into the high 400's.
The reasons I have been told its bad to run your tank dry or even low (below 1/4 tank) are (in no particular order)
-The dirt thing Tiller said
-Supposedly the fuel is a coolant for the in tank pump (our pumps are in the tank like most car correct?)
-and supposedly you can get condensation in the tank meaning some amount of water in the fuel.

I'm not saying these are all true its just what I've heard.

As far as the fuel level thing, I think its just what everyone has said. The gauge is supposedly "inaccurate". Weather its designed this way to keep you from runnin out or its just an inaccurate guage who knows. I have seen it mentioned befor though and so it would appear to be "normal" for our cars.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i drove 35 miles on "0 miles to empty" (yes, sweating the whole way) and it still had plenty of gas left.

i only hate it because my wife says, "i'm almost out of gas, can you get off clubb5 and go gas it up?" so i do and it only takes 10-12 gallons... she coulda made it another 100 miles (a couple of days for her) easy. i want the gauge to bottom out and the car to stutter at the same time, i want the gauge to say 1/2 when there's 8 gallons, and the gauge to say 1/4 when there's 4 gallons, basically, the chime/warning light can be whatever, but the gauge should be right, IMO.

a.s.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ShrinerMonkey said:
The instrumentation is not deliberately "wrong" if it is designed to issue a warning when you have 4 gals. left. Would you rather get the warning when you have 1qt or no fuel left? :crazy: Wouldn't need a light at that point because you would know you are out of gas when your car quits.
And it's designed to show empty when there are two gallons left. Empty is not two gallons. Empty is zero gallons.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Think of it as minimum recommended operating level, not "empty". BTW, the MFD just says "Please Refuel", not "Empty".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.