Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE Feb 2008: The comments below are still true.

UPDATE July 2005 18 months: The comments below are still true. If I had to choose, I'd take the D4, but I'm glad I have both.

Redline D4 I have used for 19 months, 51,000 miles - Tip Chip for 18 months. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the D4.

The D4 gave a small but noticeable improvement to everything in the tranny - upshifts, downshifts, light load, heavy load, TC lockup, everything.

The Tip Chip gave me a big improvement only under full power shifting, and zero improvement anywhere else.

I need them both and am blessed to have them - the Tip Chip more for the track. But if I had to choose one, I'd take the D4.

rusty said:
I still can't vouch for the long-term results of using an "unapproved" fluid - I guess I'm the big guinea pig here. But so far, the results are excellent.
After 51,000 miles, I think now I can vouch for it. See Redline D4 ATF in my Tranny - 51,000 miles

·
Registered
216 Posts
RUSTY i'm here with you, we're both sailing in the same boat. I also have the redline D4, about a week now, i'm loving it. Next is the tip trip and a tranny cooler. The only complaint i have is some noise in reverse when i shift it, other than that it's cooler than being cool ! :poke:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JROO-VW said:
I'm waiting for you at Watkings Glen in May Rusty!

we'll see how much you feel it then :roll:
Darn - didn't you get the word? I can't make it this year. Not enough money. ARRRGGHHH... :mad: :cry:

The car will be ready, though (nyah, nyah - I have a 16 lb racing seat!) So if some financial miracle occurs, I'll see you there!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It doesn't matter JROO, Rusty has let himself go. He's a pig now as he has gained 45 lbs. of his own! :shock: :p :poke: :eek:h: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chas said:
It doesn't matter JROO, Rusty has let himself go. He's a pig now as he has gained 45 lbs. of his own! :shock: :p :poke: :eek:h: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?! WHO HAS BEEN SNITCHING ON ME?!?!?! :lol:

Yeah but I lost 30 lbs getting rid of the resonator, so it's all a wash! :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I was really leery using Redline D4 in the W8. I'm glad that folks are showing excellent initial results. Please keep us posted over time and let us know how your transmission does using the Synthetic. I loved Redline until I ran it in my 2000 4 Motion for 1 race and the shifting seemed pretty hard, so I switched back to Pentosin ATF-1.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I thought the tip chip was only advertised to improve transmission response time when in Tip mode. Did it do that? Were you expecting other improvements as well?

My D4 ATF is going in this Saturday. I'll be throwing another data point into the non-OEM fluid experiment soon.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jaero said:
I thought the tip chip was only advertised to improve transmission response time when in Tip mode. Did it do that? Were you expecting other improvements as well?...
From GIAC's own PDF:

Summary of Changes:
* Shift times dramatically reduced. .7 sec reduction
* Greatly enhanced shifting response with no loss of smoothness
* Ability to reach engine redline in both Tip and Auto modes.
* All Tiptronic "safeties" retained. Trans will still upshift once engine redline is hit, and will downshift if too tall a gear is used for the vehicle speed.

It says shift times dramatically reduced. It doesn't say "only under high load". I expected all my shifts to be shorter, especially leisurely driving around town. I drive real easy, which causes the Tip to shift real slow. I want it to shift quickly, but it won't do that. And extra-especially downshifts, when blipping the gas to throttle-match for a turn. The tip chip didn't make a bit of difference under those circumstances.

One of GIAC's vendors stated "superbike shifting" or somesuch nonsense, implying that the new performance would be equivalent to the "snick-snick" of a motorcycle shifting. HUMBUG - the delay between the sensors and when the TCU processes it is still the same - freaking LONG. And I want to be able to shift down two gears at once - I'm in 4th, and want to brake hard for a 2nd gear turn, I want to "snick-snick" and be in 2nd - but it still won't do that. The D4 made it a little quicker and a LOT more consistent, but the Tip Chip didn't do a darned thing.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I just got the tip chip installed as well, and am disappointed with the results. The shifts are not any faster unless you're really on the gas, and even then, its not that fast.

My sister has a prelude, and the manumatic in that thing shifts a lot faster than the tip in our car in tip mode.

If I had known, I wouldn't have gone through with the tip chip

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you guys really that unhappy about the results of it? i still want one, any of you guys in the Ny area with one soo that i can feel the differece for myself? i'll be at show n go if anyone there has it.. i can't wait !!

nick

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DuttyB5nyc said:
Are you guys really that unhappy about the results of it?...
Well, yes and no.

Yes, I would still buy it - the quicker shifting under extreme load is a very good thing. Especially for me since my car sees a lot of track time - the tranny should last longer and I should be at least 1/2 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile, maybe a full second. And $250 for 1/2 sec in the 1/4 mile is cheap.

But no, it's disappointing - if they had just carried that behavior to all modes, it would be great. And I think the lag time between the sensor signal and the solenoid activation probably can't be gotten rid of.

Anyone know how much a "Level 10" kit is?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
My suggestion is that you ride in one before you get your tip chipped. I wished I had before I purchased mine. To me, its not worth the 250 bucks, just because I rarely get on the gas enough for the tip chip to make a difference, and I don't ever track my car.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Rusty... level ten is $500 bucks...

they require you to send your Torque Converter to them... and then they modify it.

usually the cost of shipping and install/uninstall outweighs the benefits. :wink: :D

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JROO-VW said:
Rusty... level ten is $500 bucks...

they require you to send your Torque Converter to them... and then they modify it.

usually the cost of shipping and install/uninstall outweighs the benefits. :wink: :D
:shock: well I guess that one's ruled out! :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rusty said:
jaero said:
I thought the tip chip was only advertised to improve transmission response time when in Tip mode. Did it do that? Were you expecting other improvements as well?...
From GIAC's own PDF:

Summary of Changes:
* Shift times dramatically reduced. .7 sec reduction
* Greatly enhanced shifting response with no loss of smoothness
* Ability to reach engine redline in both Tip and Auto modes.
* All Tiptronic "safeties" retained. Trans will still upshift once engine redline is hit, and will downshift if too tall a gear is used for the vehicle speed.

It says shift times dramatically reduced. It doesn't say "only under high load". I expected all my shifts to be shorter, especially leisurely driving around town. I drive real easy, which causes the Tip to shift real slow. I want it to shift quickly, but it won't do that. And extra-especially downshifts, when blipping the gas to throttle-match for a turn. The tip chip didn't make a bit of difference under those circumstances.

One of GIAC's vendors stated "superbike shifting" or somesuch nonsense, implying that the new performance would be equivalent to the "snick-snick" of a motorcycle shifting. HUMBUG - the delay between the sensors and when the TCU processes it is still the same - freaking LONG. And I want to be able to shift down two gears at once - I'm in 4th, and want to brake hard for a 2nd gear turn, I want to "snick-snick" and be in 2nd - but it still won't do that. The D4 made it a little quicker and a LOT more consistent, but the Tip Chip didn't do a darned thing.
So would you say that:

1.8T+ chipped ECU + automatic trans in auto mode (with or without Tip chip) + upgraded DV = not worth it?

as well as:

1.8T+ chipped ECU + automatic trans in Tip mode (with or without Tip chip) + upgraded DV = not worth it?

I was thinking about getting my car chipped but seeing as how it will never see track time, I'm not sure anymore. My wife will be driving 5/7 days a week anyway so I don't want the experience in auto-mode to suffer.

I was hoping that getting the Tip chip would help with normal everyday driving in auto-mode (as well as Tip-mode of course).

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMO:

For normal everyday driving, I don't think the Tip Chip is worth $250, in either auto or Tip mode.

For everyday driving, recoding the tranny with a VAG-COM per the instructions in the Info Forum is the most cost-effective shifting improvement.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts