Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's pretty cold here in the northeast US, and it was about 10 degrees F here this morning. when I started the car, I got two chimes and the red thermometer lit up on my dash cluster (99 B5 V6). it went out after a couple minutes. this afternoon, it did the same thing as I left work - bonged twice, the thermometer on the cluster lit up, and then went out after a minute or so.

has anyone here heard of such a thing, or had this happen to them? if so, what was/is the prognosis?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
it's pretty cold here in the northeast US, and it was about 10 degrees F here this morning. when I started the car, I got two chimes and the red thermometer lit up on my dash cluster (99 B5 V6). it went out after a couple minutes. this afternoon, it did the same thing as I left work - bonged twice, the thermometer on the cluster lit up, and then went out after a minute or so.

has anyone here heard of such a thing, or had this happen to them? if so, what was/is the prognosis?
You're kidding, of course:poke:

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I've gotten the snow flake, but never a thermometer . . .

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wish I was kidding. it really truly did this. was weird - s'why I asked if anyone had seen it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'll second the coolant alarm. Check the level in your reservoir. It's likely just at a level that will trigger the alarm and once it heats up it expands slightly and shuts of the warning.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My '98 1.8t does that randomly every few mornings... haven't had it for long, but it doesn't seem to be a certain temperature that sets it off.

I get three loud beeps and a blinking red thermostat for about four minutes and then it goes off. The car drives fine and doesn't reflect bad gas mileage like it is running on cold mode or anything... so who knows. My coolant tank connector IS connected (did the last oil change myself, so I know it is hooked up ... also, it doesn't light up every time I start the car)

At first I thought it was only when I parked on an incline and it was cold, but it seems to just be kinda random.

Sure would like to figure it out...

·
Registered
954 Posts
My '98 1.8t does that randomly every few mornings... haven't had it for long, but it doesn't seem to be a certain temperature that sets it off.

I get three loud beeps and a blinking red thermostat for about four minutes and then it goes off. The car drives fine and doesn't reflect bad gas mileage like it is running on cold mode or anything... so who knows. My coolant tank connector IS connected (did the last oil change myself, so I know it is hooked up ... also, it doesn't light up every time I start the car)

At first I thought it was only when I parked on an incline and it was cold, but it seems to just be kinda random.

I think there have been cases of the sensor in the reservoir failing, resulting in the alarm without apparent reason. Try taking a multimeter and checking the continuity of the sensor to check for an intermittent signal.

·
Registered
381 Posts

X3 on the coolant alarm. But I have my own ideas on why this happens. On my 98 1.8T it only happens on really cold mornings (if it's parked in the garage I never get it). I've checked my reservoir levels regularly and they are full. The alarm sounds and the light is on until the temp sensor on the dash reads close to 190* degrees and then it turns off with no sound. (That's the ~about 4 mins you were referring to.)

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it so long as you check your coolant levels at every oil change and you pay your indulgences :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
You gotta be kidding.
I live in Sweden and we have pretty cold winter here.
The snowflake and flashing thermometer is a warning that the roads can be slippery when it is down to zero degrees C.
And of course it does that every time you start your car when it is cold outside.
It will stop after a while and its nothing to fuss about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Forgot to mention that you can read about this in owners manual.
If you have not read the manual please do and things like this will not be a mystery for you

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Don't know if this may be related to the "thermometor" or not, but since everyone is saying check the coolant level, I would suggest also checking the coolant "strength". Especially important for you guys in the really cold climates, you want to be sure you are protected in coolant strength down to some reasonable level (suggest at least -37F which is a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water), as well as in coolant level in the expansion tank.

I doubt the dub is smart enough to measure coolant "strength", probably just measures the level in the expansion tank and the temp.

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You gotta be kidding.
I live in Sweden and we have pretty cold winter here.
The snowflake and flashing thermometer is a warning that the roads can be slippery when it is down to zero degrees C.
And of course it does that every time you start your car when it is cold outside.
It will stop after a while and its nothing to fuss about.
the snowflake is one thing (warning that the roads might be slippery, and shows up when the temps are ~39F and lower), and the thermometer is another (typically an overtemp condition, but overtemp is NOT applicable when starting the car for the first time in the morning on a very cold day).

spider said:
Forgot to mention that you can read about this in owners manual.
If you have not read the manual please do and things like this will not be a mystery for you
the first thing I did was look it up and RTFM while it was lit before I drove off - it ISN'T like I'm a total jackass, like you insinuated. I'd appreciate a bit more credit before you shoot from the hip and provide comment on my inability to read.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Hahahaha, n00b ;)

Maybe it was warning you not to go into the office today, you might be contagious. I heard the new car "nannies" are doing that now. Did you feel anything emanate from the seat and violate you?

·
27,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't know if this may be related to the "thermometor" or not, but since everyone is saying check the coolant level, I would suggest also checking the coolant "strength". Especially important for you guys in the really cold climates, you want to be sure you are protected in coolant strength down to some reasonable level (suggest at least -37F which is a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water), as well as in coolant level in the expansion tank.

I doubt the dub is smart enough to measure coolant "strength", probably just measures the level in the expansion tank and the temp.
Dear warm weather climate fellow Passat driver,
I use precisely what VW prescribes for coolant - the full strength pink stuff. It protects me completely against freezing up.
However, your post, while informative to someone who probably already had a freezeup problem this winter due to the extremely low temps here in the northeast US, did nothing to address my original post - what might cause the thermometer blinking. :banghead:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Bah, humbug. :lol:

x whatever on the coolant level sensor, because I know you already checked the coolant level. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts