Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has a bad ABS module every since we got the car.
And the red blinking BRAKE (normally caused by low brake fluid, but reservoir is FULL).
Now on top of it, there is a STOP and MALFUNCTION IN BRAKE SYSTEM (or so) message in the LCD display.

2002 Passat GLS V6 2.8 Wagon automatic FWD

Any ideas what might be causing THAT (for the right or wrong reasons)?
Suggestions how to kill that message.

Brakes work fine (only ABS module bad since we got the car years ago).

But all the blinking and messaging drives me nuts.
Time to get the electrical tape out (and tape over the LCD and the "BRAKE" area)?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Sounds like failed ABS module. Our cars were notorious for these types of failures.
By any chance, does the speedometer and or the tachometer go to zero at any time while driving? If yes, It most certainly is a failed ABS module.
There are few places online that offer rebuild services the ABS module(s)
I've used this company myself. www.cheapabs.com Reputable. Way cheaper than buying new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The car has a bad ABS module every since we got the car. "
Yes, the ABS module is known bad (has been that way since years). But now we have blinking BRAKES (since a while) and now (never before) "STOP" "Brake System Fault" in LCD display.
Any fuses that would kill the darn messages? I pulled 43 (or so), and 7 and ?? (anything that showed a resemblence with ABS, no clear text, just stupid symbols).

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Any ideas what might be causing THAT (for the right or wrong reasons)?
Suggestions how to kill that message.
Your asking what might be causing the issues. I mentioned a failed ABS module which you already confess to.

Then your response was this...

But now we have blinking BRAKES (since a while) and now (never before) "STOP" "Brake System Fault" in LCD display.
Any fuses that would kill the darn messages? I pulled 43 (or so), and 7 and ?? (anything that showed a resemblence with ABS, no clear text, just stupid symbols).
The failed ABS module causes all of these problems, fixing the ABS module is the only permanent proper solution.

If your wanting all of the lights and warnings to disappear, you can take out the bulbs in the instrument panel. I highly recommend NOT doing that.
You could unplug the ABS module from the system (large connector on ABS module). But that will still cause a continuous blinking brake light.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
x2 on what AndreasPassat said. Getting the ABS module repaired is the only reasonable way to correct these issues.
You need only remove the ABS control module, the part with electrical connectors, not the part with the hydraulic brake lines. Repair is under $200. Have your module repaired; don't bother with a used one--they all had the issue, so any used module will probably be "pre-broken."

As an aside, you can' t practically "remove the bulbs" from the brake warning light, etc. They're surface mount LEDs. And besides, with the ABS module working, these cars handle winter so very well! (The ABS also does the traction control, etc.)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
As an aside, you can' t practically "remove the bulbs" from the brake warning light, etc. They're surface mount LEDs.
I could have sworn the B5 models had little grey twist plugs with removable lights. I might be thinking of some other car. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I could have sworn the B5 models had little grey twist plugs with removable lights. I might be thinking of some other car. :unsure:
I'm not sure about the B5, but OP's 2002 will be B5.5.

Someone here surely knows... there were some early B5 models with green dash illumination, probably incandescent. But most B5's had blue dash illumination--was that LEDs?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I'm not sure about the B5, but OP's 2002 will be B5.5.
True that. I didn't even realize that when I posted. It's good that some people keep me straight here in this forum.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
As others have mentioned. Send the ABS mod out for repair. You can still drive the car you just won't have ABS. See if the repair fixes your issue. If it does. Move on to the next issue the car has.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ABS module has been bad forever (since we got the car 4 years ago).
But the STOP message in LCD only occurred now.

I unplugged the ABS connector, no change.

So what has changed? What is NOW causing the "STOP" all of a sudden.

Again: ABS bad since forever. STOP message only now.

The car is on its last legs. I am aware of ABS module rebuild (had about 10 of them done over the years with Matt/Mathew). I wasn't an issue over the last 4 years (and was decided against), so it is no issue for the short remaining life of the car.

Just wondering what is causing the message now after 4 years. Never heard of a bad ABS module throwing a "STOP" message (as mentioned, even without an ABS module this message does not come up as far as I know, and car drives without issue (just no ABS).

We often disable ABS for our track cars (also Me7 cars, Bosch ABS), and no such message. Either via VAGcom, or pulling fuses.

Any fuses that can be pulled on the 2002 Passat to kill the warnings? Currently: electrical tape applied.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
My 2000 certainly said "STOP" (intermittently) when the module failed. My guess is your module broke a few more of the fine internal wires which cause the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That makes more sense.
Just coincidence that it happened when I changed pads (and one caliper)?
Maybe I find a way (in vagcom, softcoding) to shut the ABS off entirely (code the car for 'no ABS'?).

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Is the fluid level good? I've seen the "Stop" from low fluid as well as bad modules. I don't think ABS can be coded out in the long coding. It was not an option when I recoded mine to manual trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, checked twice. Can't get a drop more in.
Also tried to unplug (open circuit) and short the level switch. No change.

ABS code out: afraid you are right, but maybe someone can confirm (this is a manual car).

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
I've been through re-coding on 2 different cars (both 2001 B5). Neither had the option for no abs in the menus. No ASR or no ESP is an option and that might help if the problem is a bad wheel sensor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts