Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the bolts from ECS this morning.
It's all good.
I haven't looked lately but I thought the Genuine Audi/VW hardware was around $9 a bolt. I personally would only use Genuine for that application.

Right now the thing I want to get straightened out is the replacement timing chain guides. There are a lot of options for them on ECS and I want to make sure I get the right ones. I'll probably just take them off the junked engine for now so I can confirm.
Unfortunately I can't give you sound advice on just replacing the shoes (pads). I've always replaced the whole CCT.
However, plenty of other members here have replaced just the shoes. Hopefully a few of them can chime in as to what brand they used.

Reactions: thechoochlyman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I mean, if it's truly recommended to just change the entire mechanism I'll do it for reliability's sake. Last thing I wanna do is have a trashed engine (again) after another 60k miles.

ECS does have the entire kit for those for about $360, with all the gaskets. I could cancel my $60 gasket kit by itself and get the installation tool for a freebie.

EDIT: I just went ahead and did it. Might as well do it the first time and do it right. So far today I've spent a running total of about $700 altogether, but have coming:

Flywheel bolts
Air filter
Spare Vacuum Line
Oil Filter
Exhaust gaskets
Serp belt
Full timing belt kit with dampener and lever
Water pump
Camshaft plugs and seals
Thermostat kit
Valve cover gaskets
Timing chain tensioners with installation tool and gaskets

I think that's pretty much it unless I run into something else midway that I need to order.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh yes, I do need helping sourcing a part that might legitimately be difficult to find - the little clip that holds that brake line into the clutch slave cylinder. I was removing it ever so gently, then it just went flying. Swept the floor with a magnet and never had any luck.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
You could pick up that clutch slave cylinder clip from a junk yard.
Is a TB tensioner roller included in the TB kit, you will need one.
That's about the only place you'll find one of those clips without buying a whole new clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
Incidentally, that clip is the same on both the clutch master and slave cylinder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's about the only place you'll find one of those clips without buying a whole new clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
Incidentally, that clip is the same on both the clutch master and slave cylinder.
I actually think I may have found one on ECS tuning. I'll have to double check, but it was definitely not named anything that I expected it to be named.

Today I'm going to be cleaning up the flywheel and pressure plate. Can anybody give me a good torque value for the flywheel bolts? The Bentley manual only said 16 foot pounds for the five small pressure plate bolts. I've read anywhere from 65 foot-pounds for the flywheel up to 65 ft lb Plus 90°.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Manual:
Flywheel bolts
Step one: 44 ft-lbs (60 Nm)
Step two: Tighten additional 180 degrees.

Automatic:
Driveplate bolts
Step one: 44 ft-lbs (60 Nm)
Step two: Tighten additional 90 degrees.
Thank you for the confirmation. I finally ran across that info in the technical section for the engine itself. Not sure why it wasn't included in the transmission section too.

I'm still in the process of installing timing chain tensioners and seals, but I'll be ready to bolt up the transmission soon. Can anybody give me a good part number for a clutch alignment tool that won't break the bank? The one on ECS Tuning is close to $100.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I know I've got at least a few of those around. I think I might have one in one of my tool boxes here at work. It's plastic but it works.
I'll go out and check and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Found one. It's yours if you want it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Found one. It's yours if you want it.
Oh man, awesome!! I did order that clip from ECS tuning, should be here over the weekend. I'll let you know if it works or not. :)

I'm really gonna try to make some headway this weekend into next week. I would have probably gotten the chain tensioners swapped last week if I hadn't messed up one of the cam seals. Now I have more of those coming.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Really made a ton of headway this weekend and I'm hoping to do a test firing this Friday. Just waiting on fluids to arrive so I can change the oil and fill everything back up first. The clutch slave cylinder clip I found on ECS did work - part number 421427 in case anyone ever needs it.

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The clutch slave cylinder clip I found on ECS did work - part number 421427 in case anyone ever needs it.
That's interesting. Back in 2013 I needed those clips and distinctly remember calling around for those. I was told I had to buy the whole cylinder assembly if I wanted one of those clips.
But this is good info. Thanks!

Reactions: thechoochlyman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This was quite a productive week - fired it up, drove it, filled up the tank with fresh gas and got it all put back together. The new clutch feels great. It's hella loud though because the cats aren't hooked up to the mufflers. :p Just have a couple of CELs to check out and it should be good to go. Seems to have an intermittent issues causing the traction control and ABS lights to illuminate if somebody knows a good place to start on those.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts