Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pair of 2001 Passat Wagons - a nice 5 speed car with a trashed engine, and a wrecked automatic car with a good engine. I already have the good engine pulled, and am getting a list together of things to fix/replace before installing it in the new car. So far I've got...

Full Timing Belt Kit
Accessory belt and tensioner
Thermostat
Spark Plugs
Crankcase cover and valve cover gasket kits
Replace all vacuum lines
Swap the slightly used alternator from the old engine
Undecided on which AC compressor to use, as well as whether the clutch should be replaced.

Anything else I need to add here?

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Make sure the 'good' engine has the pilot bearing installed into the crankshaft for the transmission input shaft.

Engine mounts.

Make sure you check your exhaust manifolds to make sure they will interchange.
Two different types of exhaust manifolds were used on the V6 engine. One uses more studs than the other. I have a picture of the difference(s) posted up here in the forum somewhere.

Make sure you swap the ECU from the engine that had the manual trans to the other engine.

Depending on mileage, might consider a new clutch and dual mass flywheel.

Reactions: thechoochlyman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure the 'good' engine has the pilot bearing installed into the crankshaft for the transmission input shaft.

Engine mounts.

Make sure you check your exhaust manifolds to make sure they will interchange.
Two different types of exhaust manifolds were used on the V6 engine. One uses more studs than the other. I have a picture of the difference(s) posted up here in the forum somewhere.

Make sure you swap the ECU from the engine that had the manual trans to the other engine.

Depending on mileage, might consider a new clutch and dual mass flywheel.
That reminds me... manifold to header gaskets.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Forgot about this.

The way I understand your post, your wanting to swap out engine / transmission and end up with a combo that uses a manual transmission.
So in that case...

Unless someone can tell me I'm out of my mind, I would use the throttle body that was on the engine paired up to the manual transmission.
I could of sworn I read somewhere in the past that there's a difference between throttle bodies used on auto trans vs manual trans.
Other people have chimed in on this past when I've mentioned it, but I don't ever remember anyone of us coming up with a definite yes or no.

For what it's worth, I did the same thing your doing, coming up with a usable combo with a mix of auto and manual trans vehicles with a V6 engine.
I did move the throttle body to the 'new' engine that I married to the manual transmission.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's correct - the donor car has an ATQ paired with an automatic, the recipient car is a 5 speed.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
A new coolant pump would be a good idea.
Check all 4 shoes on the cam chain tensioners, replace if broken or worn.

I can't say for sure whether or not there is a difference between the throttle bodies, but I can't see any reason for a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I already have this thread going, I have another quick question.

On the donor car I pulled the engine and transmission all at the same time, dropping the subframe. It would be great if I didn't have to mess with any of the front driveline in the recipient vehicle. Is it advisable or even possible to remove and install the engine from the recipient car and leave the transmission where it is?

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
The
Isn't the V6 pilot bearing in the flywheel? The Tip has the giant bushing to pull out for the swap.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
I would pull the motor and trans together. It's so much easier than messing with the cats to separate them in the car.

I would change the oil cooler gasket if not the whole cooler.

You might consider the coolant pipe seals on the back of the motor as well as under the manifold.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
The

Isn't the V6 pilot bearing in the flywheel? The Tip has the giant bushing to pull out for the swap.
Huh, I actually can't remember right now for sure, but I thinks you're right.
I think the bearing needle bearings are in the flywheel.

I've got a flywheel or two laying around, let me see if I can confirm that this weekend.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
Huh, I actually can't remember right now for sure, but I thinks you're right.
I think the bearing needle bearings are in the flywheel.

I've got a flywheel or two laying around, let me see if I can confirm that this weekend.
I know I'm right on this one, despite my otherwise poor memory. The 1.8T needle bearings go into the crank, the V6 has a recessed bearing in the flywheel.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
See post #31 in this thread for a pic & PN of the V6 pilot bearing.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
He has a V6, not a 1.8T.
This is a poor picture showing the V6 (2.7T) manual crank and back of the flywheel, with no bearing to be seen.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Shelf Machine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have not one, but two dumb questions for you today.

I'm installing a gently used stage 1 clutch and OEM flywheel that's been sitting a few years. Advisable to clean up the rust on the flywheel and pressure plate before putting it back together?

Also, I'm just assuming I need to replace the flywheel bolts. Can someone point me to a source for those?
EDIT: The bare minimum amount of searching led me to ECS Tuning, so there we go.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
Sand it (lightly) and replace the needle bearing in the middle. Check for rust on the splined center of the clutch disc, sand it too if needed. Check all threads inside the bolt holes for rust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A new coolant pump would be a good idea.
Check all 4 shoes on the cam chain tensioners, replace if broken or worn.

I can't say for sure whether or not there is a difference between the throttle bodies, but I can't see any reason for a difference.
Is there a source for just the cam shoes on the tensioners? I haven't taken the valve covers off yet, but I'd like to just replace those if possible.

Edit: The only engine died from a failed tensioner shoe on the left head. Tensioner itself was still good, but the shoe was completely gone on the top side.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I have not one, but two dumb questions for you today.

I'm installing a gently used stage 1 clutch and OEM flywheel that's been sitting a few years. Advisable to clean up the rust on the flywheel and pressure plate before putting it back together?

Also, I'm just assuming I need to replace the flywheel bolts. Can someone point me to a source for those?
EDIT: The bare minimum amount of searching led me to ECS Tuning, so there we go.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Yes, ECS Tuning is a good source for those bolts.
I'll check around to see what other pricing looks like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, ECS Tuning is a good source for those bolts.
I'll check around to see what other pricing looks like.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the bolts from ECS this morning. Right now the thing I want to get straightened out is the replacement timing chain guides. There are a lot of options for them on ECS and I want to make sure I get the right ones. I'll probably just take them off the junked engine for now so I can confirm.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts