Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the front brakes on our 1999 wagon. Last time I went with cheapies and now they are dragging/grinding/squeaking in the rear when the brakes are NOT applied. What are good brake parts, and where can I get them at a good price? I need front and rear rotors and pads, although I may delay on the rears. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
659 Posts
maxxx said:
What advantage are the axxis deluxe plus pads?
I am running Axxis/PBR Deluxe on all four corners. As good, or better, stopping than OEM, with significantly less dust. I have over 1000 miles on the new brakes, little to no dust.

This is where I purchased my PBR/Axxis pads: www.importrp.com/catalogm.php?man=34&type=270&year=30&year_name=1999
They were very helpful, plentiful stock, good prices, and fast shipping.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I had to replace my rear rotors and I wanted to go with a better rotor and pad. I found ECSTuning.com and found that the had a nice set or rotors and pads. I gave them a try and am very happy with what they sold me. The rotors dont turn rusty when you wash your car and the pads have a nice bite and dont produce alot of brake dust which I like.

If you choose to do what I did and go with ECSTuning.com here is the link to the page, all you need to choose is what rotors you would like.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...D&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS OE 2 Piece

I have the PBR Ceramic brake pads and like them quiet abit, I am not sure about the axxis deluxe pads, but I would say both are good pads.

Rich :)

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
PBR Ceramics are semi track pads that don't do so great when they are cold (for example: occasional freeway braking). Of course on the flip side the stand up to brake fade (the feeling that your car is not going to e-v-e-r stop) better under prolonged heavy braking (for example: on race day). You sound like an everyday driver so I would suggest you stick with Axxis Deluxe Plus pads. Lots of good attributes - good initial bite, decreased brake fade, very low brake dust.

If your brakes are squealing when the brakes aren't being applied, you may have a siezed caliper/carrier that is causing your brake pads to make contact with your rotors even when you are not actually braking. I doubt that is the rotors fault.

As far as rotors are concerned, you can go with OEM replacement Drilled/Slotted rotors for a bit more show and go + you'll pay less than any dealer/OEM replacment out there! $165 or so for all 4 rotors shipped to your house! Over 75 CB5ers can't be wrong! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
what S_Klass said... i had the drilled/slotted rotors and pbr axxis deluxe pads installed recently along with a fluid flush, and i am very happy with the results. (added some paint to the calipers, too - sweet looking!!)

better braking & pedal feel than before with less dust. great price & performance!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
B5Buckeye, I have the same setup as you (I just put them on last weekend). When braking at speads greater than 20mph I get the baseball card in the bicycle spokes sound from the brakes (no vibrations though). Do you have the same issue or are your brakes quiet?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Maxxx, you don't have to spend a boatload of loot to get quality brakes. Brother S_Klass has a nice rotor Group-Buy going, and you might want to check it out.

I always recommend Ate Powerdiscs front rotors and plain-faced rotors in the rear, but I've been sending S_Klass some folks as well. ECS Tuning and Import Replacement Parts Company are excellent sources for rotors.

Now for pads, you might want to go with PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus! I'm running PBR/Axxis Ultimates on my W8, and the pads are awesome for my driving style. I wash my car often, so brakedust isn't an issue. The Deluxe-Plus pads offer excellent bite and they are a dustless pad.

Also, when is the last time you flushed your brake-system and replaced the fluid. You should flush the DOT4 fluid in your car every 2 years regardless of miles! Just snag a quality fluid like Castrol LMA, Valvoline SynPower, or ATE Type 200.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes....

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
12 Posts
front brakes

I've a 98 GLX and need to replace front brakes. I have what i think are necessary hand tools, torque wrench, metrics and chiltons (I think) repair guide. It looks pretty straight forward. I looked in the section with all the mods and repair guides, did'nt see any thing. Is there any thing regarding this repair that I should know that might bite me in the a$$? As a first timer, should I get OEM from dealer in case there is a part mix-up?

·
Registered
155 Posts
rstash - i haven't noticed any noise; squeeling, card-in-spokes, or otherwise. i've read stories of others on here who have had a lot of noises with new brake setups. luckily, i've had none...

sorry i can't be of more help. there are members here who are quite knowledgeable on this topic. i'm sure they can chime in...

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Re: thanx & why so much?

sbsail9 said:
Why do dealers and other shops ask for so much for this repair?
To make $$$$... Honestly a front brake replacement should consist of an hour of labor! Most shops make a killing from parts, and this is where you can save some money.

Since you have a 1998 B5, you should check to see which rotors your car utilizes because there's a slight difference from the 1999+ model year Passats. Provide your VIN to any VW Dealership Parts Department and they will let you know the true size of your rotors. Then you can buy rotors and pads from one of the recommended online vendors for a correct brakejob.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
B5Buckeye said:
rstash - i haven't noticed any noise; squeeling, card-in-spokes, or otherwise. i've read stories of others on here who have had a lot of noises with new brake setups. luckily, i've had none...

sorry i can't be of more help. there are members here who are quite knowledgeable on this topic. i'm sure they can chime in...

My rears from the GB were giving me the fluttering sound....I switched them out with Powerslots, and the sound is gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.