Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on burners and read through the norcent 19.99 burner special. It seems that microcenter doesn't have them that cheap any more (no rebate I guess).

But I'm looking to buy a decent CD-RW drive that will be used almost exclusively for one purpose, copying my music CDs to backups (which will be played in my car cd player, preserving the original). I currently have a Toshiba laptop with USB (not sure if it's 2.0 or 1.1) and an couple-year old iMac.

The ideal burner would be not too expensive, reliable and able to work on both my computers. also, if it's something that best buy has I have a gift certificate that helps out there.

So...any recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmph, i did a search for burner but most not have dug deep enough. thanks!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Anything Lite-On. http://www.newegg.com

I used to swear by Plextor till I found that Lite-Ons were 1/3 the price and did just as much or more. I used to go through a 50 stack of discs a week so burning wass critical for me.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Lite-On is very good, I also buy Sony OE bulk pkg from Newegg.com and have had good results with both. The Lite-On drives are usually a bit cheaper though.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems that Lite-On and Plextor are the recent favs. I'll take people's word that plextor is the best, but I need an external drive and was hoping to plop down less than $100.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
got a plextor refurb (damned near brand new) at newegg for $35 or so. their 52x one with the medium buffer (2mb).

if you look on newegg and check out their refurbs (depending on stock) you can get good stuff for less than the cheaper brands.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
linux-works said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-241&depa=0

$54 aint too bad (brand new).

the modern drives (2 yrs or newer) have BURN PROOF so you don't really care about buffer sizes anymore. the only reason you'd want an 8meg buffer is if you tend to read much much more than you write (then its a cdrom and not a cdrw)
Wow. Didn't know the price went up that much. I bought one from NewEgg for $39 last December. :shock:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
linux-works said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-241&depa=0

$54 aint too bad (brand new).

the modern drives (2 yrs or newer) have BURN PROOF so you don't really care about buffer sizes anymore. the only reason you'd want an 8meg buffer is if you tend to read much much more than you write (then its a cdrom and not a cdrw)
but i need an external drive! in addition, it looks like the laptop and the iMac (both a couple years old) are both USB 1.1 so I think I'll just try to find a firewire-equipped burner since most cd copies will occur at home anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts