Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a Miata as his DD, which poses a problem when it snows after he's gone to work. I'm thinking of getting him some of those easy-on/easy-off tire chains (the ones that are really made of cables), but seeing how he's got a 45 mile drive every day, a couple of trips with the cheap ones will wear them out. Also, that little car has pretty stiff suspension, so big heavy chains would make for a hellish ride home.

Has anybody run across a really good set of "tire traction aids" that aren't really bulky and don't wear out really fast?

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i don't know that snow cables would be better than snow tires. not in the "gift" price range probably but maybe a set of dedicated snow tires would be the better route.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't know that snow cables would be better than snow tires. not in the "gift" price range probably but maybe a set of dedicated snow tires would be the better route.
It's gotta be something he can stash in his closet at work and put on in the parking lot. Dedicated wheels and tires might be a bit heavy to carry that far.

As for trips in the snow from home, that's what the Big Blue Van is for. With 281kmi on the clock, it won't be a huge loss if it hits a tree -- that said, he's 720ed the thing a couple of times on icy roads and it's still going.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummm....google?

I found it with 1 search.
Here's a great idea sparky, if you're going to suggest something, show me what you're talking about, or at least give me more than a 1-word description. If I search for "spiders", I'm pretty sure tire stuff isn't going to be the first thing to pop up.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
gee, I typed in 'spiders tire chains' into my google and it came up with exactly that.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Here's a great idea sparky, if you're going to suggest something, show me what you're talking about, or at least give me more than a 1-word description. If I search for "spiders", I'm pretty sure tire stuff isn't going to be the first thing to pop up.
^ Hey 20 watter ... Google is your friend, learn to use it properly.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ Hey 20 watter ... Google is your friend, learn to use it properly.
You're missing the point wiseass. If I were searching on my own, of course I would use (and did use) Google. I was asking for suggestions here, to see if anyone had any ideas that I didn't even know to search for. You took it upon yourself to make a suggestion, so do it properly. Halfassed help is no help at all.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
You're missing the point wiseass. If I were searching on my own, of course I would use (and did use) Google. I was asking for suggestions here, to see if anyone had any ideas that I didn't even know to search for. You took it upon yourself to make a suggestion, so do it properly. Halfassed help is no help at all.
Buy you book & you still chew on the cover. Not very bright are you kid? Respond nicely next time and people will go out of their ways to help you.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
no, I think you miss the point. sometimes its much better to STFU and pay attention. your attitude is what gets you comments like "20 watter." you've got loads of what you THINK is book sense, but incredibly little common sense.

if you are going to criticize those who would actually deign to help you, perhaps you'll not get any when you need it most.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
www.vulcantire.com

SCC Super Z-chains are the bomb. Cheaper version is the Shur-grip Z I have the Super Z6 for low clearance that fit my 18"x 8.5" rims that are on my lowered Passat with NO rubbing. I have the Shur-grip Z for my wifes Nissan 240sx, cheaper in price but go on easily and work well.

They last a while, SCC is the same company that makes the badass ones we use on our fire engines with great durability and traction. They go on easy too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts